Windows 7 & iPods/iTunes Sync problems

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
Solution: Upgrading to iTunes 9.0 & 9.0.1 Fixed all the Sync problems in Windows7 64 RTM

*I've been running it since release, just forgot to update the thread. Hopefully this can help someone in search...

_.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~._.~^~.

Currently I've been fighting with my Windows 7 RC install and iTunes. Before everyone jumps my case for not using an alternative to iTunes hear me out. At the moment I own an iPod Shuffle 2Gen, iPod Classic? 60Gb, and an iPhone 3GS where I'm trying to make them work under my RC install. Both OS and iTunes are 64-bit, and seem to run fine until I need to RE-Sync an updated library/playlist. Obviously I know Apples iTunes shouldn't support iTunes 8.2.1 for Win7 yet, but has someone experienced similar or the same problem?

Right now, every time I want to update/resync the iPod(s) they need to be restored, which is a huge pain in the ass when a person has over 30gb of music they'd like to keep on their little device - This really only pertains to my iPhone/60gb iPod. As of now, when I plug one of them in, they open iTunes as they are 'checked' to, and show up under devices. But after making the necessary changes or attemptings to press the 'Sync' button it sits and laggs for a bit then either one of the following will occur:

1) Windows errors out saying it cannot locate the disk drive -- wonderful right?

So I check the device manager...yeah, its there, what gives?

2) iTunes shows the storage status as "Other"(Orange bar) and all my "Audio"(Blue bar) shrinks to whatever the update was!...yeah thats kinda weird. But, if I disconnect it, and either plug it back in or check the pod itsself...the music is fine.

Other possible problems I've tried is uninstalling the iPod then rescanning for hardware changes to reinstall the necessary drivers. - did not work

I'm wondering if its doing this due to the old Gen. iPods? Something I doubt, but it could be a possibility, didn't seem to have this trouble in my Vista x64. Another solution that I'm thinking may or may not cure this is installing my just downloaded Windows7 RTM Ultimate x64 from my Technet :) because the RC is missing some components?

Any advice would be appreciated

...sorry for the book.

Last edited:
In Beta, RC, and in RTM my ipods and my iphone worked correctly, 2GB 1G Nano, 120GB Classic, and 16GB 3G and then 3GS.

This is whatever versions of iTunes were current during all of this time.

I currently only sync the 120GB Classic to my Win7 machine, but it works flawlessly, no need for a restore ever.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into it further. Its not a life or death situation, but it is a pain when you make little changes and they wont apply easily.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to reformat my OS hdd and install the RTM.

update: Installed the RTM tonight and am still experiencing the same problems. So I decided to venture out into google, bing and the apple forums....only to find, many people are experiencing the same problems under Windows 7 with their 2nd Gen. Shuffle. It seems we're all doing the same thing - Dual booting into XP or Vista.

So I guess I'll leave it at that and hope apple rectifies the probelm...

I'd post the links but it may/may not be permitted in the [H] Rules for posting, so PM me if you want those sites.

Just upgraded girlfriends laptop to Win 7 64bit 2 weeks ago. Also itunes, 2gb ipod etc. Similar situation. Extensive research found workaround that works but no permanent fix.

1st open itunes than plugin ipod or device etc.

itunes shows device. now close itunes. go to your windows device manager while your device is plugged in and right click to select "scan for new hardware" something magical happens. exit go open itunes again and your device shows up as usaul again....

Now try syncing. Should work. If not just fiddle around changing the order in which you open or unplug your ipod and open & closing itunes etc before/after refreshing the device manger in Windows. It will work and always does for me but I always forget the order in which I get it to work. Done it quite a few times. Basically has soemthing to do with USB drivers being finnicky with itunes I read somewhere. Goodluck experimenting : )

Unfortunately I tried your way a couple of times to no avail. I attempted to reformat the Shuffle to FAT...obviously it doesn't work and errors out when iTunes opens with "Its not formatted correctly blah blah blah". So I reformatted back to FAT32, opened itunes, and now its as if it was fresh out of the box. Its autosyncing with ALL my music only; I cannot choose a playlist :( . Whatever...at least its working with music on it, right?

Cheers :)

Forgot to mention that also before I could get it to work I had to tell the ipod to restore settings and I think I used itunes to update the ipod software in the sync center which forecefully loses any music thats on there as well. Its an apple thing to prevent piracy where if you hook the device up to a different library or fresh computer install with mismatched libraries than it wont sync up if I remember right. Found that out at the same time I researched the problem. Before restoring the ipod, updating through itunes and doing the "scan hardware changes" thing....it never worked period at all. Same errors as you but after doing all those things and losing the music on the ipod I was able to re-sync everything from the laptop to it with no problems since following the usual open/close/"scan hardware changes" method. That's all I can remember and sorry it has not worked out for you thus far conmpletely. Hopefully they fix it at some point in future updates. Was a real pain for me too and I scoured the web pretty intensely looking for a better answer. This was on a Dell XPS M1210 installed Windows 7 7127 than updated to RTM. Both 64-bit. Latest itunes. Ipod 2GB player guessing 2006/07 model etc.

Goodluck ;)

Thanks, I'll try again later this afternoon. I'm sure apple is already aware of the probelm but I attempted to send them some information regarding our experiences with the issue. Hopefully they will send out a revised update since the RTM has been officially launched.

ive been having problems with itunes bringing my computer to its knees when it tries to sync. it will sync 2 or 3 song and thats it. im wondering if a clean win 7 install would help. has anyone had some kind of success with this. im only having problems on win 7 64 bit. i have a laptop with win 7 32 and it syncs fine. any ideas.

Great find feelx, I'm definitely going to give it a try. So I'm assuming SharePod will be part of the system start up after installation?

For a shuffle you need to check Enable disk use.

I have a shuffle here and a nano that work in itunes with no problems.

Enabling disk use does not remedy my problem, I've tried many times :( . With that being said, are you using a 32 or 64bit of Win7? What version shuffle? FYI - Current 3rd. Gen seems to not be affect by this issue...

Enabling disk use does not remedy my problem, I've tried many times :( . With that being said, are you using a 32 or 64bit of Win7? What version shuffle? FYI - Current 3rd. Gen seems to not be affect by this issue...

win 7 x64. I have the previous gen, whatever that is.

No need to install Sharepod just run it like it says and I deleted it afterwards. Its a direct executable it seems. No need to install. You can review the whole thread over there by going to the bottom of that post and clicking the page 1 link to see what the original complaint was that lead to the fix. There are only 2 pages in that forum that leads up to that answer/fix. Settings in ipod summary/sync actually stuck in itunes too after running Sharepod as instructed. I tried and re-booted several times last night, just plugged in ipod, started itunes, worked faster and flawlessly everytime on my girl friends Dell XPS M1210, Win 7 RTM 64 bit, latest itunes, 2Gb ipod Shuffle. Hope it works out for everyone as well.

**I agree with previous poster, need to enable "disk usage check" etc in ipod summary in itunes. Its recommended in the thread I linked as well. I also disabled Windows Autoplay just so not to screw with ipod when inserted and to be on the safe side.

Same problem with 1st gen Nano, going to try sharepod solution when I get off work.

Cool, glad to see our collective persistence paid off :D

Hopefully other ipod owners find this thread and benefit from it in the future.

Back