Windows 7 Installation error

Rahburt-33

Gawd
I'm upgradingmy windows XP to windows 7 with the upgrade edition disk
I want to go from x32 to x64, but whenever I have the computer boot from the DVD, it get's to the part with a mouse cursor and background, however, no windows or anything load, the computer just sits there. The mouse pointer moves, but nothing happens. It does this with both the x32 andx64 disks. Does anyone know what causes this to happen?

Go into your BIOS and enable legacy mouse and legacy keyboard. It may be labeled just as 'legacy usb'.

Go into your BIOS and enable legacy mouse and legacy keyboard. It may be labeled just as 'legacy usb'.

Indeed you need to enable legacy usb then your mouse and keyboard should work fine. But you can't upgrade from 32bit xp to 64bit Windows 7. You can only upgrade to Windows 7 32bit. If you want to install 64bit you have to do a "clean install".

I'm upgradingmy windows XP to windows 7 with the upgrade edition disk
I want to go from x32 to x64, but whenever I have the computer boot from the DVD, it get's to the part with a mouse cursor and background, however, no windows or anything load, the computer just sits there. The mouse pointer moves, but nothing happens. It does this with both the x32 andx64 disks. Does anyone know what causes this to happen?

Hi, Rahburt-33,

Here's a link to Paul Thurrott's article Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media. Please note that:

... only Vista users can do an in-place upgrade (emphasis added), which is the install type for which Upgrade media is optimized. If you're an XP user, there's no way to do an in-place upgrade. So you have to perform a migration, which consists of three steps:

1. Backup your crucial data and settings using Windows Easy Transfer (it's on the Windows 7 Setup DVD) and make note of the applications that are installed, because you'll have to manually reinstall them again after the fact.

2. Perform a clean install of Windows 7 using the Upgrade media. I describe this process in this article.

3. Restore your crucial data and settings using Windows Easy Transfer (part of Windows 7) and then reinstall your applications...

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Back