• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 install on a new SSD

Sp33dFr33k

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
2,481
Been a very long time since I installed Windows on an SSD but I noticed that this time Windows didn't seem to recognize that it was an SSD. Hibernate was on, defragment was on as well. Is this typical?

I've since disabled those two functions and will turn off some other services per guides online just curious.
 
The normal behaviour is that defragment is turned on but SSDs are just skipped on the scheduled task.
Turning hibernate off is unneeded, every modern SSD should be able to tolerate these writes. Unless you have a 32 GB system and hibernate it every few hours, you do not have to buy a specialized SSD.
I personally would rather wear out an SSD every two years that to forgo the ability to hibernate my laptop.
I do no special settings for SSD equipped computers anymore apart from formating the system partition with a cluster size equal to the SSD page size.
That is definitely not required but seems to most logical step as it does not deactivate any features (apart from compression) and does not cost measurable performance.
 
You can double check your alignment:
http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/support/documentation/ATIH2014/index.html#21807.html
(In the odd case windows didnt understand the sata port chipsets it was connected to)

Defrag scheduling service runs, but skips all SSDs
[configure your scheduler...] [select volumes...]

Prefetch and superfetch are usually disabled because they off no visible performance on a current ssd.

Hibernate, your choice.
 
I checked the alignment, it looks good. When I looked at defrag it had the drive listed there and it was selected which is why I was wondering what happened.

Hibernate I just always disable regardless of the hard drive, I never use it at home.
 
Back
Top