Windows 7 Home Premium-Retail vs. OEM...

berzin

n00b
I'm looking to install a new Windows 7 Home Premium Edition on my computer-a clean install, from scratch.

I was looking on Newegg.com and noticed the price difference between the regular edition and the OEM.

As a cheaper price is always more appealing, are there any differences I should be concerned with?

Is the OEM something I should consider going with?

technically according to the EULA, OEM can only be for re-sale (ie, not for personal use).
OEM also cannot be moved to a new computer according to the EULA.

of course, many many people ignore these parts of the EULA, and it's usually not too hard to get it re-activated if reinstalling on a new machine and a call is required.

OEM is fine. It will work the same as a retail version. The only difference is it's licensing.

Both OEM and Retail are only allowed on one computer at a given time.

Retail license can be transferred from one computer to another if you buy a new computer (but must be taken off the old computer).

OEM license can NOT be transferred from one computer to another if you buy a new computer. It is permanently tied to the computer you activated it on.

As j-sta stated, a lot of people ignore that fact. If you're unable to activate an OEM license on a new computer (or performed a major upgrade on an old one) after already activating it on an old one, you can simply call in for a reactivation. I have yet to hear Microsoft denying anyone a reactivation key.

Wow, how many times is this question going to be asked? I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 500, honestly.

As mentioned, the licenses are identical s they are installed on the first, and only system. If you decided to upgrade or move that license to a new computer, that's where the difference is.

By now, those differences are spelled out clearly. What you need to do is decided between the cost differences and how much you plan to adhere to the EULA. You know your plans for this computer better than anyone, and what you are comfortable with doing. If you don't plan on changing this computer for a few years, aside from some minor upgrades, there's no harm in getting an OEM license. If you plan to swap parts often, or upgrade completely often, you might want to go retail.

Thanks for the responses. I do not plan on upgrading the main components of my computer (mobo, ram, processor) and I am only going to use the OS on one computer. So I think the OEM version would be good judging from the responses.

Given that, you should be fine with the OEM. You also won't be able to contact Microsoft for support, but honestly, who does that?

I have a TechNet subscription and I still don't use Microsoft's support sites. lol

I might have if Google didn't exist, though.

Back