windows 7 home and virtual pc alternative?

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a gaming notebook with windows 7 home as the OS. I would like to be able to run some older program but the Home edition doesnt have virtual PC. Should i buy the pro upgrade and be done with it or is there a good alternative that could cost me less (or free) so i can run windows XP on it?

thanks!

You could just install Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft, or VirtualBox. Both are free, and both work well, although I don't think either let you "publish" an app to the host OS like XP Mode.

with virtual pc 2007 do i need my own version of XP? i think with windows 7 virtual PC i do not.. am i right?

Yes, that's right. XP Mode comes with a basic install of XP. The free alternatives assume you have licenses to use.

Yes, I have it installed on two systems. I haven't "published" any apps with it, but I am using it as a standard virtual machine system.

The OP isn't using a netbook. He's using a notebook, with specs in his sig.

I can't recommend VMware or virtual box enough, both free leaving you money to just get an old copy of XP on line somewhere.

This leaves you with more flexibility with VMs and likely cheaper than upgrading to pro.

I went all in and upgraded to pro. Now i can launch ANYTHING i want from windows 7 desktop. Very easily. Yes it was not cheaper than other route , but the integration is worth the price to me.

Back