Windows 7 Hibernation goes horribly wrong

FishHead

Gawd
I decide to save some energy by trying out hibernation in 7 and it bites me in the ass.

I click to wake the damn thing up and I get a BSOD saying a fatal error occurred in hibernat.sys during hibernation, so I restart it, go through 3 screens about restoring due to a fatal error, and when I finally get logged in some phantom Drive A appears which is supposedly a floppy disk drive despite the fact that I don't even have one and it proceeds to spams me with messages to format it and restart.

I scanned for viruses and I'm not finding squat so I'm awfully confused about what's going on here. Google has also failed me.

I know 680i LT motherboards hate Win 7 sleep mode.

It could be a combination of the power saving modes in the bios. And as it was suggested, update the bios.

i would get a BSOD waking from sleep mode, turns out my mobo settings were wrong

I went through my logs, couldn't find the error code.

My BIOS is updated, but my motherboard is also old and crappy. I'm guessing it's just too old for 7's hibernation to work with. I'm actually more concerned about the phantom floppy driver it's telling me to format than the actual BSOD.

Mine has issues when waking up from hibernate, but it only sometimes happens when i also unplug it from the wall. If i unplug it for the night and re-plug it before waking it up the next day, the usb stops working (which also means no keyboard and mouse), i can still access it with remote terminal so i know it still works, but it's like my peripherals need to be re-initialized, and the only way i know how to do that is to restart the PC. Which sort of defeats the purpose of hibernating.

I went through my logs, couldn't find the error code.

My BIOS is updated, but my motherboard is also old and crappy. I'm guessing it's just too old for 7's hibernation to work with. I'm actually more concerned about the phantom floppy driver it's telling me to format than the actual BSOD.

do you have a floppy installed? if not turn it off in the bios, Win7 is picky about this

I had an a8n-e that had problems with sleep and hibernate, I got the mobo replaced and no more problems. I know that may not help you much but some old stuff just doesn't like sleep and hibernate.

I'm actually more concerned about the phantom floppy driver it's telling me to format than the actual BSOD.

Sounds like that phantom floppy is a result of something that somehow enabled the floppy disk controller in the BIOS. I would go into the BIOS setup and disable anything that references "Drive A:", "Drive B:", FDC or floppy disk controller.

Edit: What motherboard do you have?

ATI drivers do not get along with hibernate from my exp, my main comp use to sleep/wake just fine when I first built it but after SP1 and a late 09 drivers update it started BSODing, I gave up trying to figure it out and just shut the computer down when I am not using it.

ATI drivers do not get along with hibernate from my exp, my main comp use to sleep/wake just fine when I first built it but after SP1 and a late 09 drivers update it started BSODing, I gave up trying to figure it out and just shut the computer down when I am not using it.

You using vista? In windows 7 I haven't had any problems with ati drivers and my board is amd/ati and graphics card is ati.

Back