Windows 7 hangs for up to 3 minutes after switching monitor back on

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
So after five installs on Windows 7 this is my LAST major issue.

I ran both official versions of the Beta and RC and never saw this issue even once on my tx2z tablet and have been trying various drivers with no luck. After the screen powers down, just the screen, the machine is not sleeping, the moitor will come back on instantly after an input but the systems hangs for up to 3 minutes though usually its only about 20 seconds or so. I've never seen this on any Windows laptop and it got to be a driver issue though I have no idea which one. I've tried different drivers for the GPU and finger print scanner, disabled the finger print scanner, changed power options and still no go.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Windows Ultimate x64 version on this machine BTW. I'll probably try x86 and seen how that goes.

I've had this issue too but never for more than 10-15 seconds after waking up the monitor. It seems like only Explorer is frozen during this period.

Most of the time its like 10-15 for me as well, but this morning it was almost 3 minutes. But during that time I can't click on anything, not even a running program window so its more than just Windows Explorer for me. I'm installing 7 x86 on the machine now to see if the problem exists there.

Getting Win 7 x86 installed on the tx2z. The issue with hanging seems to be gone but the install process isn't smooth in x86 either. I'm having to use the Vista drivers for the GPU. bluetooth, and sound. This machine SHOULD be supported as it is a current machine that's being sold with Windows 7 upgrade coupons so hopefully these things get hammered out by Oct 22.

It's not your hard drive going to sleep is it? I know even though I selected "High Performance" it still turns off hard drives. I have so many that I think I'm going to let them rest for now to save a bit of energy. Gotta go to change to advanced power settings under Choose when to turn off the display (or change when computer sleeps).

I was about to post that I am having the EXACT same problem. After coming out of hibernation I either get a black screen with just a mouse or if I get the full desktop and try to run a program nothing happens....ever. The mouse can still be moved around but I cant even get task manager to load either. So I figured I would turn it off and then turn it back on but come back to the same damned problem. I can only use my computer in safe mode.

Have run the antivirus and spyware checkers but came up empty.

I dont know what to do short of a complete reinstall which I really dont want to do.

Yeah, had the hard drive power down turned off. I'm in the middle of getting my apps reinstalled with x86 on it and so far (knock on wood) I've not seen the problem. For now I'm okay with this as there should be formal support for this machine in two months and I try x64 again then.

Well finally got my rig repsonding now. Tried to open a few programs last night and the usual hangup occurred, but it had that little circle like it was thinking. So I just let the rig sit overnight to see if that would do anything. Brought it out of hibernation this morning and usual mouse cursor on black screen. I turn it off then back on and tell it to delete some restoration data or something and proceed to normal startup and everything seems to be going ok right now.

I am going to turn off hibernation and suspension however until I feel confident that I will have a working computer after it comes out either of them two.

Last edited:
So far so good going with x86. Still getting stuff installed and I've got to test out the bluetooth but assuming that goes well this is the most complete and functional setup I've gotten on the tx2z under 7 which should be the case since this is the RTM. I think for the time being I'll hold off on the N-Trig drivers until they get updated which can't be that far off I would think as they're going to have to get these out to Dell and HP in short order for Windows 7 pre-install machines I would think.

Good luck to both of us!:)

Think I may have found the source of my problem as it happened last night. Comodo Antivirus is set to scan my system at midnight Saturday nights. I just happened to be on at that time and when Comodo got to scanning guard64.dll it hung. I told it to stop the scanning and it didn't respond. Tried bringing up task manager and it wouldn't come up. From then on the computer wouldn't respond except for the mouse.

I turn off the power and tell Windows to start normally and it does what it had been doing before. After it loaded up Comodo the system would not respond except for the mouse. If I tried anything before Comodo was loaded it would respond. SO I reboot into safe mode and remove Comodo from the startup list and reboot.

System works just fine now.

I'm having a similar issue with my Win7 x86 setup. It seems to be completely random at times. I've completely disabled sleeping/hibernation of system and HDDs.

After the monitor wakes up (move mouse, hit key), my system will hang for up to 3 minutes at a time. The keyboard is completely unresponsive (CAPSLOCK light doesn't change when I hit the key). As for the mouse, I can move it around, but I can't click anything with it. And, if I keep clicking it, it'll lockup too. This doesn't always happen though.

I have an Apple Keyboard, and a Razor Deathadder mouse. ASUS Rampage Formula is the mainboard. I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while now to no avail.

Don't even get me started on sleep & hibernation, it just doesn't work for me.

i've had similar experiences.

In my case, the issue was Aero.

"re-evaluate" your Windows Experience Index to make sure that Win 7 sees the full capability of your hardware.

I noticed that if you enable Aero and make a slight hardware change that drops your Graphics subscore, Aero / Explorer hangs.

Back