Windows 7 & Gadgets question

dmize

Limp Gawd
So i liked the feature in Vista that would only open a window as wide as the gadget bar.

I really like 7 but it bugs me that either my gadgets are behind a window or on top of it.

Anyway to set it like Vista so windows will only open as wide as the Gadgets?

thanks
D.

So i liked the feature in Vista that would only open a window as wide as the gadget bar.

I really like 7 but it bugs me that either my gadgets are behind a window or on top of it.

Anyway to set it like Vista so windows will only open as wide as the Gadgets?

thanks
D.

I doubt it since the gadgets can be anywhere on the screen.

No, the "Sidebar" is gone, and good riddance.

Use the Desktop peek functionality (hover your mouse over the Show Desktop button) instead.

No, the "Sidebar" is gone, and good riddance.....

Exactly what I was thinking.... the only thing that would cooler would be being able to hit a 'hotkey' of some sort to bring up the gadgets instead of the 'peak'.

The Sidebar can be re-enabled, iirc, just a Registry hack to get it done, but I personally can't see the usefulness of such a thing (that's my opinion, of course).

And I think the poster above meant "Aero Peek" not peak... ;)

The Sidebar can be re-enabled, iirc, just a Registry hack to get it done, but I personally can't see the usefulness of such a thing (that's my opinion, of course).

And I think the poster above meant "Aero Peek" not peak... ;)

Yes! :)

well... certainly good points all around, but I find myself doing allot of actions that require a quick glance at the Calendar and the gadget always being displayed was pretty convient.

dont get me wrong its not an os killer for me by far... I'll just need to find a work around or something.

Bigger monitor with much higher resolution? Always a winner unless you're talking about one of those Sony FW900 24" behemoths... and I still want one too, just doubt I'll ever get one at this point. :)

No, the "Sidebar" is gone, and good riddance.

Use the Desktop peek functionality (hover your mouse over the Show Desktop button) instead.

It is not gone.
It is just not enabled by default, but you can enable it.

Windows + M will minimize all open windows to the Taskbar so you can see the Desktop directly, but pressing Windows + M again will not restore the windows, that's the problem with that particular shortcut.

Windows + D will minimize to show the Desktop, and Windows + D again restores all the windows back to their previous positions/sizes, so it is the preferred shortcut if you must get a quick look at the Desktop.

But then again, just hovering the mouse over that "Show Desktop" bar (lower right corner of the screen by default, but always next to the Tray regardless of where you put the Taskbar) will give you Aero Peek so you can see the Desktop and outlines of the open windows only - it does not minimize things as clicking on it does. Clicking that bar performs the same function as Windows + D.

Windows + Space = the keyboard shortcut to Aero Peek, btw... very handy at times. ;)

And if you're interested in a lot of keyboard shortcuts (I use them all the time, more often than clicking/opening the Start menu actually), here's a decent list (there's more shortcuts, but it's a start):

http://windows7news.com/2009/03/22/master-list-of-windows-7-keyboard-shortcuts/

Back