Windows 7 - Files in Use?

TekSomniaK

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm running the RC and and just came across something odd and I'm sure there's a simple fix but I can't figure it out myself. So I have a secondary HDD with all my storage on it. Only problem is I can only modify files that were created after Windows 7 was installed. I have a bunch of web files for some of the web design/development I do and I can't modify them unless I copy them to new files...then just delete the originals. I noticed that when I make a new file, there is a new permission there that wasn't on the files I had there before installing Windows 7. I really don't want to go through all of these files so is there something else?

Right click the folders and play around with security. You need to set permissions and ownership to your account, administrators, or just everyone. Make sure it has full control after ownership is taken.

Yeah I set the owner to Administrators and it still does it...do I need to do a restart?

Yeah I set the owner to Administrators and it still does it...do I need to do a restart?

You might be doing it wrong. Rightclick on the Folder you want to take Control. Properties>Security>Select Your Users(*****)>Edit>User(***)>Check Full Control. If that is grey out and don't let you selecct. Try Properties>Security>Advanced>OWNER>Edit>select the proper user owner that you've created>Check Replace owner on sub*****>Ok.

You might be doing it wrong. Rightclick on the Folder you want to take Control. Properties>Security>Select Your Users(*****)>Edit>User(***)>Check Full Control. If that is grey out and don't let you selecct. Try Properties>Security>Advanced>OWNER>Edit>select the proper user owner that you've created>Check Replace owner on sub*****>Ok.
Yeah that's the play around stuff I was talking about.

You need OWNERSHIP before permissions.

No I'm definitely doing it right. It didn't matter about the ownership. Apparently what you have to do is SPECIFICALLY set your user for full control over all the files because it was not enough that all Administrators have full control. Is this a bug or some completely idiotic security measure in Windows 7?

Pain in the ass

UAC doesn't let you do everything as admin like XP did. A user who is admin is still user access.

Back