• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 Extreme volume fluctuations

kazaakas

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2012
Messages
144
Hey people,

I'm having a very, very, very annoying problem with my new windows 7 install.
I'm still waiting on some sound equipment to get delivered, but right now with onboard sound the volume levels suffer from extrene fluctuation.

Either music, games, anything can get really quiet at times, sometimes for several minutes, when I turn up the volume to compensate for this, eventually I'll get ear%%%%% later because the volume level will rise again.

Today the volume was stable for like 30 minutes and then it went wall-shaking loud at one moment, and this is getting really annoying.

I already tried numerous things, like reinstalling sound drivers, and disabling the "reduce volume by 80% when communications are detected" option and anything that looked like it could try to "normalize" the volume.

Is there anyone who can help me? I'm >99% sure this isn't because of the speakers, as I've used these for like 5 years with several setups and never had any problem until going to windows 7 less than a month ago.
If I can't fix this I swear I'm going back to windows XP...

EDIT: I've set winamp to -10dB now, so the digital signal is quite low, this seems to supress the normalizing feature quite well, but whenever I get messaged by someone on MSN or have an error sound I'm shocked, lol
 
Last edited:
is this truly random or does the source file/audio have anything to do with it?
 
Well, of course, nothing is truly random, but it seems to happen with any kind of audio, and less often with quiet audio.

Set winamp to -12dB now, the damping barely occurs, but still every 30 minutes it does go very faint for a good couple of seconds..
 
I don't know if this is similar at all but I have a lot of volume flux with different things.

Like, volume can be at a nice comfortable level when playing an MP3, but if I go to YouTube and start a video the audio is like 10x as loud!

Movies are super quiet all the time...have to turn the volume up 50-100% higher for movies than MP3's.

Lots of volume knob turning...and all my settings are correct.
 
Problem still present...

Anyone having experience with this? This stuff is driving me mad...

EDIT: This shit is getting incredibly annoying in sound based games...
 
Last edited:
Is it pushing audio streams to speakers that are not there at times maybe?

I always mute/zero any audio streams I'm not using in or out.
 
Just found this ol thread.
It were my speakers after all, well actually, their amplifier which is placed in the subwoofer.
I used to have my headphones hooked up to them but I'm now using a new sound card and an headphone amp/speaker preamp and the fluctuations aren't there when using headphones but still there when using speakers.

Weird, because after all those years these speakers seem to have broken at just the time I got my new system.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top