Windows 7 external hard drive question

hunter33

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
298
I have a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro, and a laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise with McAfee full disk encryption. (I hate the encryption, but work requires it) The laptop also has Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed, although I'm not using it.

I have 2 external hard drives ... one is a 3.5" Seagate in a USB 2.0 chassis and the 2nd is a 2.5" WD in a USB 2.0/eSATA chassis.

The 3.5" Seagate can be plugged in to either the desktop or the laptop with no problems. The 2.5" WD works great as long as I only use it on the desktop ... but if at any time I move it to the laptop it wants to format the drive. If I format it it works until I try to move it back to the desktop at which time the desktop thinks it needs to be formatted. Doesn't matter if it's connected with USB or eSATA, and write caching is turned off so it's not a corruption issue. So basically if I plug the 2.5" drive into the laptop at all it won't work when I move it to another machine.

I'm wondering if the full disk encryption or the Intel Storage driver could be the problem. I need to be able to move the 2.5" external disk to different machines without it asking to be formatted. Any ideas?

Thanks
 
Back
Top