Windows 7 - End Process

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pothb, Jul 16, 2010.

1. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

Has anyone else had this problem?

Where a program goes into "Not Responding" and you try to end process it, but it just hangs. It's been happening a lot to me recently on my Desktop computer. Also occurs sometimes when I open up 2 programs nearly simultaneously. It just hangs and shows up in task manager but nothing opens up and ending the process does nothing. If I try to open another of the programs that are already doing it, it'll just tell me it's working for about 4 seconds and then goes back to doing nothing.

I've tried searching for it, and I've seen lots of stuff on using PSKill, taskkill /f, tune up utilities, etc, all with either no replies, or replies that it's still not working.

I also tried taskkill, and tune up utilities to end process but it still hangs. End process tree does nothing as well. It's happened to firefox, explorer, games, and even pidgin chat program.

Also, when shutting down, after said problem happens, it hangs on shutting down computer, as well. The odd thing is that I don't believe I have had any problems with it on my laptop. Anyone have a possible solution?

2. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 [H]ardness Supreme

Sounds like the processes are stuck in an IO operation. I'd look into a dying HDD.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

+1. Also pickup Process Explorer, its the beat task manager out there and its free. And check your event logs.

4. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

Hmm... well that sucks. tsk. I guess I'll use this 1 tera I bought for my OS drive soon...

Thanks for helping though.

5. msny

msny 2[H]4U

Before buying that new drive first check it for errors.

I had a similar problem, and this took care of it.

Right mouse click on drive, select properties then the tool
    tab and "check now"

6. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

I already bought the drive, but I was going to use it for storage rather than prime time OS hd.

But if memory serves me correctly, I have done that and it stalls... after a certain amount of blocks read. I could have remembered wrong though, maybe it was one of the other old drives that did that. Still, no hard done, I'm going to use it as a small lil back up of odd information. But just in case I'll try that again and see if it stalls this time.

7. Proxy

Proxy Pumpkin Ghost

Download HDD Regen. It's a good tool, and if there is something wrong with the drive it will find it. You will need to make it into a bootable CS first though.