Windows 7 display issue

wtburnette

2[H]4U
I installed Windows 7 on my computer a couple of weeks back and everything has been working perfectly. I ordered the family pack to put on my laptop, my son's computer and my wife's computer. Got it the other day and installed it on my son's computer last night while he was at a party. Everything worked fine, except the screen resolution. Win 7 detected the hardware correctly, but put the resolution at 1920x1080, instead of the proper resolution of 1680x1050. Everything looks pretty good, at least for pictures and stuff, but text is slightly blurry and the icons were slightly squashed looking. I tried using the slider to change the resolution to 1680x1050, but then everything looked worse. Text was very blurry and the screen wasn't filling up the whole monitor. I tried checking the Scepter site (it's a W22WG-1080P) to see if there was any info or an inf file to use or anything, but the inf files were all for win95/98. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I had to put his old hard drive back into the system, so he could use the computer, as the Win 7 install was giving him headaches. I'm not sure what to do next, except to keep poking around with google and to give MS a call if I can't figure anything out... :(

Surely a 1080p screen has a native res of 1080p?

Can you verify the exact model number of the display?

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/x-index.htm

I can't find a single thing (using Google) for the display model number you mentioned. Are you sure its not the "X22WG-1080p"?

Kinda ridiculous that they put "1080p" in the title of the display and its not even 1080p capable....

Damn thats harsh.
There may be a setting in the monitor that allows the scaling to be changed from 1080p to native or 1680 res.
If not, try the settings in NVidia control panel, adjust desktop size and position.
You will see some scaling settings that may sort you out.

I'll have to check that out. Thankfully I did the install on a new hard drive (well, my old hard drive, new for him), so I just pulled it out and put the old one back in to get him up and running. When he's not around, or at least not using his computer I'll swap the drive with Win7 in it and see what I can figure out. Just very disconcerting I'm having an issue with something so basic. I know it's likely not a MS issue as much as it is most likely a vendor issue with Scepter. Ah well, I'll keep trying. If someone comes across something that helps, please let me know... ;)

Back