Windows 7 Directory Structure for "Libraries"

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Recently I had to piecemeal relocate files from my c drive to a backup. The C drive was overflowing, my choices were a bit hasty but I figured the re-assembly of the files would be self-evident. There's one part that isn't. Libraries. It's subfolders are Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos. Anyone know where that directory is supposed to go in a Windows 7/64 build?

Last edited:
Alright. I wonder if the label 'libraries' is automatically created when you copy over profile-like folders.

Yes. Libraries is a function/feature of Windows Explorer, not your user profile.

For example your User Profile folder "Documents" and the Public User Profile folder "Documents" are where Windows Explorer will look to to find the files that it will show in the Libraries Document view that it creates.

If you are storing Documents elsewhere on your disk you can tell Windows Explorer to include them in the Libraries Documents view if it does not find them automatically them after you move your profile.

Yes. Libraries is a function/feature of Windows Explorer, not your user profile.

For example your User Profile folder "Documents" and the Public User Profile folder "Documents" are where Windows Explorer will look to to find the files that it will show in the Libraries Document view that it creates.

If you are storing Documents elsewhere on your disk you can tell Windows Explorer to include them in the Libraries Documents view if it does not find them automatically them after you move your profile.

I store all my documents in a separate partition (so WHEN Windows goes south), I can wipe and reload the Windows partition without losing data). I find libraries to be a PITA and I hate it when various apps default to saving to a library location. Any way to nuke all of that?

actually libares are in programdata take over all the security from system and assign it to the admin account give your self travesr to root of c. note this will break the os you need to back every thing up to another drive as once you do this you have to reinstall the os.

actually libares are in programdata take over all the security from system and assign it to the admin account give your self travesr to root of c. note this will break the os you need to back every thing up to another drive as once you do this you have to reinstall the os.

Not sure what you mean here. Please re-reply without a run-on sentence.

Thanks. :D

Back