Windows 7 Desktop Icons Erased?

Mmm.vap0r

n00b
I just reinstalled win7x64 today. I started to download all the apps I want/need. A few minutes after I install them all, my FireFox, CCleaner, and DeFraggler icons have all disappeared and are displaying the default icon (some little piece of paper w/ 3 shapes on it). Does anyone know why this is happening and/or how to fix it?

P.S. I've tried re-installing the apps...but this only works for a short time. A few hours later it reset back to this ugly default icon.

Weird...when you right click - Properties on the icon, next to Target: is it pointing to the correct directory that you installed to?

Weird...when you right click - Properties on the icon, next to Target: is it pointing to the correct directory that you installed to?

yes. all the target's are fine and the shortcuts work. Even when i go in, for example, Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/..., the firefox app .exe file has no icon on it. it's just a "default shortcut looking icon". has no globe/fox on it. just regular old white thing

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/win...tify-corrupt-icons-problem-windows-vista.html
Really useful tip! Thanks.

There is also another way to do it, should the above method not work for someone.

Kill Explorer.exe process. To do so, click Start button > Hold down Ctrl+Shift & Right Click on empty area in the Start Menu > Click "Exit Explorer".

Click Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys and open Task Manager.

Click File > New Task > cmd.exe > OK. This will open the command prompt.

Type cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
Click OK
Type attrib –h IconCache.db
Click OK
Type del IconCache.db
Click OK
Type start explorer
Click OK.

Your Vista Icon Cache would have been rebuilt.

Back