Windows 7 - Custom keyboard shortcut key not working properly [SOLVED]

blisstik

Limp Gawd
So here's a problem I just figured out how to fix. You install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and setup some custom keyboard shortcuts such as CTRL+ALT N for Notepad. You test it out and it works. Then after you reboot or log off, it stops working.

You can temporarily make it work again by removing the shortcut key and adding it back but after a reboot/log off, it stops working.

What gives? Well here's a workaround.
Go to Taskbarand Start Menu properties, Start Menu tab, under Privacy, enable the "Store and dispaly recently opened programs in the Start menu". For recent items, I left that uncheked but that's my personal preference.

ClearRecentlyUsedPrograms.png

What if I don't want the program to be listed in the start menu?
Here's the actual workaround, go to Customize and set the "number of recent programs to display" to zero. I also unchecked "Recent Items"

7945d1239550215-start-menu-issues-recent-programs-list-s.png

Now go reboot and your custom keyboard shortcuts should work properly! I use Notepad2 to completely replace the stock Notepad and its awesome for coding!

How did this problem happen? I think either before or after creating your keyboard shortcuts, you disabled the recent programs and it also disabled any custom shortcut keys you've applied. I think it somehow relies on this feature for it to work. I think MS should fix this. BTW: I'm on SP1 7601.17514.101119-1850

Back