Windows 7: Cool Gadgets List?

pc1x1

[H]ard|Gawd
What Gadgets do you guys use?

Thus far, I only tried the following default ones.

Watch
Slideshow
Calender
Temperature
Currency
Currency
Currency
CPU Meter

I need 3 currencies converted.

What gadgets do you guys use, and recommend, and where to download them?

I am new to these, so sorry if redundant.

Thanks!

... no need to waste unecessary resources.

I'm not running any ten years old incapable shitboxes, so I kinda think of it the other way around. No sense in having a capable machine if you're not gonna make use of it!

That said, I don't run much in the way of Gadgets.

Clock
Weather (half decent 3 day local forecast on that)
A third party calendar/scheduler

that's about it, for meeting my needs.

Well where can I browse more?

for example I seen some users with a cool HDD space, and different CPU utilization meters, it was a clear one? Any ideas?

And My machine can easily run anything, not worried, and gadgets are useful.

i see it as: unused resources being spent -.-

got that:
Weather gadget!

Well where can I browse more?

Did you ever try clicking the big "Get more gadgets online." link in the Gadgets window? It takes you right to microsoft's gadget gallery. Hundreds of them to check out.

Only ones I deem a necessity are All CPU Meter and Wired Network Meter.

In Vista, on my main machine, I use:
Weather;
IntelCoreSeries (orbmu2k);
ATiOverdrive (orbmu2k);
Wired Network Meter;
XM Online Radio;
Twitter Explorer.

In Win7, since it's on my netbook, I only use:
IntelCoreSeries (orbmu2k).

On my 17" laptop - sometimes Vista, sometimes Win7 - I usually have:
Weather;
Wireles Network Meter;
XM Online Radio.

In Vista, on my 2nd machine, I use:
Weather;
IntelCoreSeries (orbmu2k);
Wired Network Meter;
XM Online Radio.

Since they moved them to the desktop and got rid of the sidebar, I moved over to google desktop :( where I'm using a notepad, weather, and a google calendar app that's sucking right now.

Gadgets worked better but no sidebar = useless for me

Did you ever try clicking the big "Get more gadgets online." link in the Gadgets window? It takes you right to microsoft's gadget gallery. Hundreds of them to check out.

I did, but they looked pretty scrubby, heh!

I like the The Hobby Lounge UI, but I need to register for their forum, which never sends its activation email.

Thanks everyone for ideas!

Since they moved them to the desktop and got rid of the sidebar, I moved over to google desktop

Why on Earth did you make that change?

Gadgets worked better but no sidebar = useless for me

I cannot for the life of me envisage a reason why the ditching of Sidebar in favour of undocked Gadgets would stop somebody from using them. In actual fact the new method of using Gadgets is more flexible, convenient, and easy. You can place the Gadgets wherever you want to, and in combination with the new 'Show Desktop' approach you can view even hidden ones any time you want without minimising any open program Windows. Just hover the mouse pointer on the 'Show desktop' thingy beside the notification area and all your program windows go fully transparent to allow you to view your desktop and all its Gadgets. If you need to access and use any of your Desktop Gadgets you need only click on that Show Desktop thingy and your program windows stay minimised leaving your Gadgets active for access and interaction.

Just what is it that the lack of sidebar is stopping you from doing?

Is there a way to shut off all gadgets while gaming?

I like them in certain positions, so don't want to X them out.

Why would you need to turn them off? You running a Pentium 3 or something?

I thought windows & shuts all that off when gaming if you need the resources, or has that changed

Well my favorite site for gadgets is www.thehobbylounge.com (free registration required). The caveat to some gadgets in the Live Gallery is that they leak memory in various forms, which means if you don't restart every so often you will run short on RAM...(unless you kill the gadget).

Pretty much the only 2 that I end up looking at in some useful manner
Calendar
Network Meter

Used to have clock, but that's also already in the systray (lower right corner)
Used to have resource meter...but I never really give 2 hoots about how much CPU or RAM is being used.

I never noticed memory leaks with them, although granted I only run 2. But my laptop barely actually reboots maybe once a month, usually it's just in and out of standby/hibernation a half dozen times a day for weeks on end.

Why on Earth did you make that change?

I cannot for the life of me envisage a reason why the ditching of Sidebar in favour of undocked Gadgets would stop somebody from using them. In actual fact the new method of using Gadgets is more flexible, convenient, and easy. You can place the Gadgets wherever you want to, and in combination with the new 'Show Desktop' approach you can view even hidden ones any time you want without minimising any open program Windows. Just hover the mouse pointer on the 'Show desktop' thingy beside the notification area and all your program windows go fully transparent to allow you to view your desktop and all its Gadgets. If you need to access and use any of your Desktop Gadgets you need only click on that Show Desktop thingy and your program windows stay minimised leaving your Gadgets active for access and interaction.

Just what is it that the lack of sidebar is stopping you from doing?

The point of them to me was to have a little app that is visible at all times and you can use instantly. Calculator, Google calendar app, a notepad to write phone numbers on, etc.

Going back to the desktop != always visible. Having an app a few clicks or mouse motions away...why not just use a launchable app then? I preferred the sidebar being always visible. At least I can get that with the google desktop sidebar.

Going back to the desktop != always visible. Having an app a few clicks or mouse motions away...why not just use a launchable app then? I preferred the sidebar being always visible. At least I can get that with the google desktop sidebar.

I guess you simply don't realise that you can bung the Gadgets over there same place the sidebar was, and set each of them to 'always visible'. Just 'cause sidebar is gone doesn't mean you can't have your Gadgets same place, same way!

I guess you simply don't realise that you can bung the Gadgets over there same place the sidebar was, and set each of them to 'always visible'. Just 'cause sidebar is gone doesn't mean you can't have your Gadgets same place, same way!

Yeah some people don't understand that sidebar is literally built into the desktop now.

As for Gadgets I just use Sticky Notes. My iPhone does all my other stuff like weather, calendar and what not.

Windows Key + Spacebar also shows the desktop on the fly so you can view your gadgets.

My favorite is the system info tool - awesome, shows your CPU, RAM, network info, CD drive info, HDD info, etc.

One problem I've been having in Windows 7 Pro x64 is that sometimes when I boot my PC my gadgets have moved around my desktop, really annoying to have to move them all back to the edge where I like them.

That doesn't prevent windows from maximizing over them, last I saw. Then I end up with gadgets overlapping my windows.

Hyper-V Monitor (Control any VM with no additional app launch requirred)
Weatherbug
Woot! (Aaron Grady version)
BOFH: Excuse Generator (Never know when you need to bamboozle managment)
XM Radio
Simple Date (I remove the clock from the taskbar)
Presto's hard drive monitor

I have all of them running at 40% opacity

Added screenshot in Win7 desktop thread http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034794357&postcount=17

Last edited:
The problem with forcing users to do without a dedicated area is that the gadgets are not click-through, meaning they will block whatever button there is under them. I find it odd that MS didn't think of this when other gadget engines like Konfabulators had them for years.

That doesn't prevent windows from maximizing over them, last I saw. Then I end up with gadgets overlapping my windows.
I have gadgets disabled, not my thing, don't see any that would really improve how I use my PC. I'm also not at my home Win7 box; however, when playing around with win7... it seems I recall somewhere in gadget/properties where you could reactivate sidebar, the vista style one. I'd look around more thoroughly.

Last edited:
The problem with forcing users to do without a dedicated area is that the gadgets are not click-through, meaning they will block whatever button there is under them. I find it odd that MS didn't think of this when other gadget engines like Konfabulators had them for years.

Or you can use that thing called a "mouse" or the other thing called a "keyboard" and do something called "resize the window." It's a new concept because your window magically keeps the position from last time. :rolleyes:

Are people really that lazy that they won't re-arrange their windows to how they want them? I've been arranging windows to fit my needs for years. Makes my life easier. Windows 7 makes it even easier then before. Just snap the windows to the left or right (Windows key + Left, Windows key + Right) and arrange the gadgets however you want them in the open space.

Or you can use that thing called a "mouse" or the other thing called a "keyboard" and do something called "resize the window." It's a new concept because your window magically keeps the position from last time. :rolleyes:

Are people really that lazy that they won't re-arrange their windows to how they want them? I've been arranging windows to fit my needs for years. Makes my life easier. Windows 7 makes it even easier then before. Just snap the windows to the left or right (Windows key + Left, Windows key + Right) and arrange the gadgets however you want them in the open space.

Looks like someone doesn't get it. Like I said Konfabulator had click through for years. Once you got all the gadgets position and transparency set up you set them all to click-through and they are now nothing but overlays like the fps counter in Fraps. Given that I use 9 gadgets on my 2nd screen they do take up a fair chunk of space. There are no true "open positions" considering that UI can have buttons anywhere. It get pretty noticeable when you try to browse with gadgets in the way. An open space in one moment may have something you want to click the moment you load up a different page or programme. Since I tend to leave my 2nd screen RDP'ed to other computers it gets annoying.

Looks like someone doesn't get it. Like I said Konfabulator had click through for years. Once you got all the gadgets position and transparency set up you set them all to click-through and they are now nothing but overlays like the fps counter in Fraps. Given that I use 9 gadgets on my 2nd screen they do take up a fair chunk of space. There are no true "open positions" considering that UI can have buttons anywhere. It get pretty noticeable when you try to browse with gadgets in the way. An open space in one moment may have something you want to click the moment you load up a different page or programme. Since I tend to leave my 2nd screen RDP'ed to other computers it gets annoying.

:eek:

I quoted the wrong guy...didn't even notice meant to quote the post two above yours. I agree that allowing a click through on the gadgets would be nice.

I have gadgets disabled, not my thing, don't see any that would really improve how I use my PC. I'm also not at my home Win7 box; however, when playing around with win7... it seems I recall somewhere in gadget/properties where you could reactivate sidebar, the vista style one. I'd look around more thoroughly.

There's a way to steal the Vista sidebar files and settings from a Vista install to get it to work. Seemed even wonkier than going with google desktop. Didn't think it was worth my time and effort since I don't have a Vista install laying around anywhere and it seemed like a bit insecure/ unstable to do it that way.

Is there a way to lock gadgets into place? when switching from profiles?

IE, I use 3 monitors, my gadgets are on monitor to the right, when I activate CrossfireX, I have to shut off all monitors except the main primary. That moves my gadgets. Is there a way to make them stick to the right monitor, or they shut off when I disable the right monitor etc?

any way to make the CPU Usage and Wired/Wireless Network Meter larger?

weak - if not (on high res monitor)

Back