Windows 7 Continuous Disconnects (Hardwired)

Seldorin

n00b
I've been having some issues staying connected to the internet ever since I installed windows 7 x64 on my desktop. I installed it both on my laptop (wireless) and my desktop (hardwired) at the same time and my wireless connection has no issues. The only way I can get connected back to the internet on my desktop is to manually disable and re-enable the Local Area Connection I am using in the network connections window. Resetting the modem or router has no effect. I had no issues like this when I was using xp or vista 64.

My desktop uses an evga 680i motherboard and connects through that.
I use comcast internet and a linksys WRT160N router.

I am thinking it may be an issue with Windows 7 and my motherboard or ethernet port drivers. Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Thanks a lot.

Seldorin

You mention your NIC drivers, Have you tried reinstalling them by chance?

Yeah I did. I didn't uninstall them first, rather I just selected the update drivers option and selected the destination to find them. It seemed to work for a night but now I have the same issues. It also seems to happen more frequently when I am very active on the internet, such as downloading a large file while browsing the internet. I am not sure there is a correlation though.

have you tried looking at Broadcom's website to see if they have any newer drivers than what's available on Windows Update? Or whatever chip is used for that board's NIC.

I had issues with my laptop's wireless. Had to get the latest drivers from Intel's website, as Windows Update did not have anything newer than what was running, which I got from Sony's site.

I downloaded the entire motherboard chipset package from the EVGA website which seems to be kept up to date and updated the NIC drivers directly from the extracted file.

I've read several reports of this issue with nVidia NICs on Win7. Apparently resolved by installing the latest drivers directly from nVidia.

I tried that yesterday and I still have the same problems. I can try again and see what happens though.

I tried that yesterday and I still have the same problems. I can try again and see what happens though.

See if you can find some threads about it, I've definitely seen it around the 'net. Seems to be isolated to Win7 x64 and nForce NICs. Might've been a version rollback that fixed it instead.

Alternatively, your board has two NICs, have you tried the other one? I can't quickly find out for sure, but one is probably on an external (non-nForce) chip and one on the southbridge, so the other might work fine.

I've tried alternating which I plug into with the same results. Right now I have them both plugged in and testing if I don't lose service altogether that way. I haven't had much success looking for other threads regarding this issue but I can narrow my search to nForce win7 x64 now I suppose.

i have had no problems using the NForce4 integrated NIC with Windows 7 x64 using the Windows Update supplied driver ;)

I've tried alternating which I plug into with the same results. Right now I have them both plugged in and testing if I don't lose service altogether that way. I haven't had much success looking for other threads regarding this issue but I can narrow my search to nForce win7 x64 now I suppose.

Ah, it appears the solution is to use the Windows Update supplied drivers and not the nVidia ones.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462512

Lots of similar threads on other forums if you Google.

I have an MSI 680i and am having the same issues running win 7 x64, curious to see what fixes it...

Back