Windows 7 claims disk errors that don't exist

Jim S.

n00b
Joined
Dec 23, 2005
Messages
59
Every once in a while, Windows 7 will put up an icon in the taskbar notification area saying that one of my partitions has an error and needs to be scanned. Sometimes I'll miss it and won't know about it til I reboot and it scans automatically. But whether it scans at boot or whether I manually run a scan, there are never any errors found. I don't even know exactly when it detects these supposed errors, because I NEVER have any operations on the disk fail. What the heck?

Some more data: It happens on any one of four partitions on a 1TB SATA drive which is used for data storage only. It never happens on any partition on my boot PATA drive. All partitions are NTFS. The drive is new as of last summer and I never saw any errors under XP SP3, only 7.
 
Yeah, I get errors sometimes when I unplug a card from my card reader or unplug a USB drive without ejecting it (never had to eject anything under XP; I suppose I should make sure that 7 has sync mode on...)

BUT a hard drive that's continuously connected? That's a little more worrysome.

Not to mention, it's annoying when it starts scanning the drive at boot time. It's partitioned, but one of the partitions is pretty big and pretty full.
 
Back
Top