Windows 7 Build 7077 Leaked... no surprise here either

There's a way to get Punkbuster working, it's even posted on an MSDN blog someplace. Google can track it down...

It seems fine on 7068. Anything specific you'd like me to check tonite when I get home?

I have a lot of older AVI files that WMP's new video codecs don't support, at least not in build 7000. (audio plays back but no video) ,,, I tried the Win7codecs pack to no avail either. All the videos play fine in VLC, but I'd rather use Media Center since it uses hardware acceleration. (and I have a remote designed specifically for it)

I understand a lot of people had similar issues in build 7000; I'm just wondering if they have been resolved to any degree as the RC nears. :) Anyone with older AVI files care to comment?

Go get GSpot and run it on those AVI files, find out precisely what encoder was used to create them. That'll give you some clue about why you're having issues. I've yet to find anything that I couldn't play with WMP in Windows 7, all the builds I've tested, but I don't use WMP or Media Center for video playback, I use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

I have one of those MCE remotes with the IR control pod, perhaps I'll hook it up to see if it can control MPC-HC too...

I still have no support for my ICH7R chipset (Intel BadAxe II MB) or my LSI MegaRaid 8708ELP. So, back to more testing on VM's with limited functionality for me. Recent Vista drivers don't work for either.

I hope the RC/RTM are a different story.

I still have no support for my ICH7R chipset (Intel BadAxe II MB) or my LSI MegaRaid 8708ELP. So, back to more testing on VM's with limited functionality for me. Recent Vista drivers don't work for either.

I hope the RC/RTM are a different story.

Did you try extracting the actual drivers from the Intel package? I had to do that with build 7000 for my board.

Did you try extracting the actual drivers from the Intel package? I had to do that with build 7000 for my board.

The drivers from STOR_allXX_f6flpyXX_8.7.0.1007_PV unzipped using two different USB drives to run them, both promptly respond with "Contact your vendor for updated drivers". I also contacted Intel, and get the standard "It's in beta. We can't guarantee support.", after I tell them I'm trying to do compatibility testing to gauge my upgrade path.

What board?

The drivers from STOR_allXX_f6flpyXX_8.7.0.1007_PV unzipped using two different USB drives to run them, both promptly respond with "Contact your vendor for updated drivers". I also contacted Intel, and get the standard "It's in beta. We can't guarantee support.", after I tell them I'm trying to do compatibility testing to gauge my upgrade path.

What board?

I don't remember, I know it had an 865/ich5 chipset. But it's long gone.

Go get GSpot and run it on those AVI files, find out precisely what encoder was used to create them. That'll give you some clue about why you're having issues. I've yet to find anything that I couldn't play with WMP in Windows 7, all the builds I've tested, but I don't use WMP or Media Center for video playback, I use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

I have one of those MCE remotes with the IR control pod, perhaps I'll hook it up to see if it can control MPC-HC too...

They all appear to be "div3 / DivX 3 Low-Motion", and it says the codec is installed.

Encoders vary: VirtualDub of various builds (mostly 12xxx-13xxx), OpenDML, nandub, etc. etc.

I also have some MPEG-4 videos that are extremely blocky in WMP12 but not in VLC. No encoder info was stored for those.

div3/DivX 3 Low-Motion is that infamous first edition of the original DivX codec that hacked the Microsoft MPEG4 format from many years past. At the time it was pretty amazing stuff but, obviously there were issues, and they still exist apparently. :)

If those files are absolute keepers (can't imagine too many that would be), I'd try to transcode 'em to some newer more manageable format. Try using HandBrake and see if it can convert 'em over to Xvid or something at the highest possible bitrate if necessary to keep the quality up. That codec (div3/DivX Low-Motion) hasn't really been used for a long long time, so, you're not going to find anything "new" in that format, that's for sure.

Good luck...

I collected a bunch of old TV shows back in the day and have been unable to locate versions with newer encoding. It would be quite a job to transcode it all... maybe start up a batch process and go for a week's vacation :)

Awesome....thanks Joe. (at least I have a rig well suited to mass transcoding :D)

All that power and only 6.63 fps? Something looks amiss... ;)

And yes I'm aware that multiple encoding tasks (and not just one task split across cores) are being done, just pickin' on ya... hehe What the actual spec on that box?

edit: Well, the transcoding process is much less time-consuming than I had expected, and is a good idea anyway. Handbrake is frickin amazing. I'm running 4 simultaneous batches of transcodes at ~300fps each, ±100 depending on the source. (1200fps overall, but it's 2-pass XviD so 600 effective fps)

Only running 1 instance of Handbrake didn't tax the CPU much regardless of how many threads I set it to. I presumed it was bottlenecked by a single-threaded decoder (or something) ... The GUI doesn't like multiple instances so I had to write (well, generate) four DOS batch files to do it. Each one of the four instances runs at ~90% of the speed it would run by itself, CPU usage stays between 60-90%, and disk activity is light to moderate. Great Success! :D

Transcoding all my old TV shows will take half a day. Here's my humble screenshot if anyone is interested to see what an i7 @ 3.6GHz can do. (let's just say I'm tempted to convert my entire archive of old-ass div3 movies to XviD now... then I'll wish I had 16 cores for sure!)

Sorry for the gushing n00bness...this is the first time I've seriously encoded video on the new rig....and I wasn't expecting it to be this fast. i'm just thrilled. :)

/threadjack

Last edited:
whats the chances of getting a cease and desist letter if i download this?

i have had build 7000 on my main system for months now and really wanted the latest build...

when are they going to have a big release open for everyone again?

It's a beta OS, who cares... go for it. Microsoft has never gone after any single individuals for downloading their beta OSes or software so, I doubt they're gonna start with you. ;)

They have not officially announced any specific date for the Release Candidate public release. Neowin.net got ahold of some rumor and published it back in February but no one from Microsoft has ever come forward to substantiate or verify it as solid indisputable fact, so... the best answer is:

When it's done, it's done.

running Windows 7 as my sole OS now. At least for my desktop.
liking it.
pleasantly surprised at the compatibility of all my apps so far.
Avast Home works fine even though it's not on MS's official AV list.
easyBCD helped remedy a few boot listings i wanted to get rid of.
Everest, games, etc etc... so far so good.
*edit - CDBurnerXP is all good too.

*btw - when downloading drivers and such, do you try to use the XP or Vista option?

Last edited:
just got it installed. Its not filling my whole tv even though its the right rez. Also it wont connect to my whs, says wrong password. The other 4 pcs in the house would like to disagree. Not happy so far with that.

Any ideas why when i try to login to any pc it thinks im on a domain with that pc name as the domain? I have it set for home network with a workgroup but when i try to login to my whs it shows htpc\htpc with domain htpc.

i can login to the htpc with my other pcs fine.

Just installed build 7000, works great to whs.

Last edited:
I'm having some trouble w/ 720p on my build 7068 netbook so its good to here you had better luck with 7077. Aside from that issue, its pretty snazzy and only ate up 500/2000 gigs of ram!

I'm having some trouble w/ 720p on my build 7068 netbook so its good to here you had better luck with 7077. Aside from that issue, its pretty snazzy and only ate up 500/2000 gigs of ram!

Will people stop thinking that less RAM usage = good?!

If you don't want to use your RAM, take them out of the frigging PC.

RAM > SWAP-file

If you don't want to use your RAM, take them out of the frigging PC.

RAM > SWAP-file

People still cling to their notions from XP, of course.

Personally, I wish win7 utilized MORE of my ram, it only uses about 1.1 GB after start up. I've got 8 frickin gigs!

Personally, I wish win7 utilized MORE of my ram, it only uses about 1.1 GB after start up. I've got 8 frickin gigs!

Dosn't the RAM usage go UP after a while, when it has learned your "habbits"?
But try and go into taskmanager, the preformance tab.

There is a rescource-monitor button on that that, fire that one up...and in the next windows, selct the RAM tab...there you can se reserved, used, unused....and CACHED RAM usage ;)

SuperFetch takes time to learn. And me, I've got gobs of stuff running so it can only cache about 4GB (of 8GB) since 4GB is already in use...(F@H, AV, iTunes, gadgets, Firefox, Trillian etc).

If it's only using 1.1GB at the Desktop, dude, you don't do much with your PC do ya? :D On this laptop I'm currently "adopting" with 4GB and 7077, I'll see about 2.1GB usage at the Desktop after a clean boot, with tons of stuff prefetched for me, but I'm pretty serious about usage, not everyone is.

I guess that makes sense then; I'm usually between my MBP and my pc, and I do a lot of my school work on the MBP.

I don't see the problem here. This means my 1st day w/ W7's happy and ready for 3x the abuse it's currently receiving. Hell, I'd be even happier if it said, 500/4000! Now if I had been using it extensively for a few days w/ many programs opened and it had been pulling them from the HDD, I would be sad. :(

Back