Windows 7 BSOD: Display Device Failed to Reset

Teh Lurv

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,

I noticed just over the weekend that my PC was beginning to BSOD with the message "Display Device Failed to Restart". Just before the BSOD, the screen would flash black, my monitor would power cycle, then come back with part of the screen drawn with black and blue dot splotches.

Tonight, the BSODing got to the point where startup to desktop and/or pulling up Firefox was causing the above BSOD. I restarted in safe mode, uninstalled my Nvidia drivers, and that appeared to temporarily resolve the issue. I then reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers. I'm not getting any BSOD at desktop, but any kind of 3D rendering causes an immediate BSOD. I'm not really sure where to go from here, anyone with any idea what could be the issue or what I should try next?

My System
Windows 7 Home Prem. 64-bit
i760
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
8GB RAM (4x2 sticks)
EVGA 8800GT
X25M 80GB
Xonar soundcard
EDIT #1: Forgot to add: 500w Enermax PSU

EDIT #2: I have few uninstalled Optional Windows 7 updates, one of which covers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113, so I installed the waiting updates. After restart I'm not getting BSODing, but my PC now just gracefully crashes to desktop whenever any app attempts to do any 3d rendering. 3dMark06 can only get a few frames with scattered blue dots before crashing. Dragon Age immediately dies to desktop.

EDIT #3: Spoke too soon, the BSODing occurred again with 3dMark06.

Last edited:
BSOD type is TDR 106, right?

Most likely, you are either OCing, have a bad video card driver, or have a bad video card.

Based on your description below, I'm going to go with OC or bad video card. If the latter, contact the manufacturer for an RMA

Thanks for the responses so far. To answer the above:

I'm not O/Cing, Memtest passes @ 10hours.

I don't have any video diagnostic program, however it isn't taking much for my system to throw up the BSOD. At this point, just starting up the Windows 7 Chess Titan game is enough to make my PC BSOD trying to render a 3d chessboard!

I finished trying reseating the video card and ram plus did some ram stick swaps with no dice. Only thing I noticed is that the PC can run 3d programs like 3dMark before BSODing from a cold boot for a few minutes. I think it is definitely the video card is going south.

Back