Windows 7 broke my MP3s?

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
I play my MP3s in the car off a USB drive and stream them to my ps3. When I went to install windows 7 build 7100 I deleted everything off the USB drive and tried to install w7 off that. After getting w7 set up I reformatted the USB drive and put my music back on it. Now a bunch of files that previously played refuse to work. In the same light a lot of files I could previously stream to my ps3 using ps3mediaserver now give me a 'format read' error. What could have happened to my files?

Since you reformatted the USB drive, my guess is, you used a partition type that your PS3 and car stereo can't understand.

There was an mp3 corrupting bug in build 7000 iirc, but they issued a windows update for that.

Since you reformatted the USB drive, my guess is, you used a partition type that your PS3 and car stereo can't understand.

That's not the issue. MOST files still play on my pioneer headunit, but some won't. Also the ps3 I stream to over my network using the program ps3mediaserver. The USB drive is formatted fat32 just like it came from the factory.

do they still play from the original source?

you must have them stored elsewhere, no? Since you formatted the drive then copied them back.

Maybe the ID3 Tags got converted somehow?

that wouldnt keep them from playing.. i had a bunch of tags get corrupted and ended up getting converted to chinese.. still played just fine.. but on my nomad zen the file name would not display becuase it didnt know what to do with the font.. they still played however

as for the op, check the files you backed up.. maybe your flash drive is near its EOL, they dont last forever

no no i formatted the usb flash drive, not my hard drive. the mp3 files stayed static on my second hard drive. more and more of them fail to play via streaming to my ps3 as well. they previously played on my ps3 even after installing windows 7. its not the usb drive since they fail network streaming as well. im thinking it might have something to do with songbird...

With the ps3 and ps3mediaserver, did you remember to install the combined community codec pack?

With the ps3 and ps3mediaserver, did you remember to install the combined community codec pack?

Yes CCC is installed. Not that it should matter, ps3 can play mp3 files... Most of the files USED to work (like a month ago) and now they don't is the issue.

Back