• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 - black screen and hard resets - help!

xuerebx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
231
Hi all,

Firstly, I went through the sticky on troubleshooting and downloaded 3 programs: CPU-Z, GPU-Z and HD Tune 2.55.

My computer is 5 years old and I've never had this problem before. Specs are in my signature. In the last couple of weeks I've been noticing the following issues:


  1. - When my computer sleeps, I can't seem to 'wake up' my screen. I've since disabled the sleep after 30 min of inactivity function.
  2. At random times, the screen goes black. However, I am many a times able to move the cusor, but otherwise I am unable to open up the task maanger or do anything at all. If I'm watching a video or playing a video game, during this blackout period I still hear sounds from the game for example. A hard reset is required here. One time I got a BSOD (attached below).
  3. The same thing as per above happened today but then I could not boot. On normal booting the computer froze before the windows logo. I then tried to boot up on safe mode but it wouldn't boot past the classpnp.sys. On restart the computer screen was just black. Had to force turn off the computer and unplug it. After 30 min I plugged it back in and turned it on again....successfully, and now I'm posting here.
What could this issue be? Lately I've tried installing the latest graphics card drivers after the BSOD but today I still got the black screen so new graphics drivers didn't help.

I'm currently running an HD Tune error scan. 1/3rd complete and no errors as of yet. I'm also attaching the CPU-Z details since they may help.

Thanks a lot guys.

CPU-Z report file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13877155/W7 troubleshooting/GEORGESXUEREB.html


BSOD:
IMG_20150508_191334.jpg


GPU-Z report file:

GPUZ1.gif
GPUZ2.gif
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I'll take a look once I get home. Any other visual indicators I can look out for?
 
So, I followed your directions and opened up the case. Blew out the dust and cleaned it, then I took a look.

Everything looks fine to me. The components are in good condition and there's no corrosion or bulging caps. I took a couple of pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pfe67np8ctzdjls/AADIRysRYUfYdNUPfxz8i4rea?dl=0

I'm still having trouble turning on the computer. After a couple of tries I managed to turn it on and uninstall the graphic drivers, but after a restart everything froze up again.

One curious thing is that when frozen, I pressed the physical power button and the computer turned off normally, with the windows shutdown sounds - but the screen remained frozen on the desktop, until it turned off. Also, the computer is making a low whoozing sound, kind of like grinding, coming from the tower (after cleaning it).

Any other checks/troubleshooting before I send it to a repair shop. Its a Sunday and I have time.

Thanks all.
 
Last edited:
Look at the minidumps, if you don't find any it's because you need to enable them, and just wait for another crash and see what's going on.
 
Screenshot%202015-05-10%2018.56.48.png


30 min installing Visual Studio to read the dump files....and I get this.

Can anyone decipher the files I posted above please?
 
Back
Top