windows 7 beta limited ?

HAF72

1337 :)
Well according to this source it says that windows 7 beta will be only limited to the first 2.5million downloaders?! If that is true... do you happen to know when MS will be releasing it?? Anyways i am going to wake up 6:40AM tomorrow to dl it haha ;) and no don't tell me to torrent it... i refuse :)

It's on TechNet now. They're supposedly doing a wide release on the 13th. I've never heard of your source and wouldn't worry about it, as other better known outfits like Gizmodo and Engadget have reported the Beta 1 release without mentioning such a limitation.

It's on TechNet now. They're supposedly doing a wide release on the 13th. I've never heard of your source and wouldn't worry about it, as other better known outfits like Gizmodo and Engadget have reported the Beta 1 release without mentioning such a limitation.

Thanks and an online friend told me that site.. so im not really sure too oh and according to this site and which is from microsoft says tomorrow afternoon but never says about the limitation.. so i shouldn't worry? Also yes i've heard its on technet.. but don't you have to pay like $600 an year for the subscription? lol.

Ok, so it's nice and clear:

The PUBLIC BETA that anyone can get ahold of is limited to 2.5 million downloads once it's posted on the PUBLICLY accessible website sometime on Friday, January 9th. No specific time has been announced or noted anywhere on any Microsoft website or related blogs as of about 5PM on Thursday evening (Pacific time).

So, the 2.5 million copy limit is for the public beta - anyone that's part of the actual beta program already and anyone with an MSDN or TechNet subscription or membership grabbing copies doesn't count against that 2.5 million copy figure.

'Nuff typed.

Thanks! Also here says The Windows 7 Beta only supports Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades. So if you intend to do an upgrade – be sure it is on a PC running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1. We are not yet announcing anything regarding finalized upgrade paths for Windows 7. (from the windows 7 blog)....... so you won't be able to do a clean install?? oh well....

Ok, now there are rumors floating around that it's not limited to 2.5 million downloads, but instead 2.5 million keys sooo... at this point I think it's all rumor and innuendo and people are just posting shit to get traffic to their blogs. The one I linked to is the Windows 7 Team Blog itself, and if they specifically say 2.5 million downloads then that's what I'll believe unless they alter that information.

As for that question about an upgrade, don't.

Simple, serious, just don't. Back up your system, image it, do whatever, but don't install a beta OS - even a very well developed and stable one like Windows 7 is - on top of another OS. Just don't do it.

why would they have an unlimited beta, i dont beleive they have in the past both Vista and Xp beta's were limited as well i recall.

And the even more current rumor (still no absolute confirmation) is that the 2.5 million keys are linked to Windows Live IDs and accounts - to get one you'll have to create an account if you don't already have one, and it's 1 key per account.

I can just see the number of Windows Live accounts swelling by several hundred thousand in the next 24-48 hours... :) Had mine since that concept started (been a Hotmail member since day 1 a very long time ago before anyone outside of the Hotmail developers even really knew about it), so it's a non-issue anyway because of my TechNet sub.

And the even more current rumor (still no absolute confirmation) is that the 2.5 million keys are linked to Windows Live IDs and accounts - to get one you'll have to create an account if you don't already have one, and it's 1 key per account.

I can just see the number of Windows Live accounts swelling by several hundred thousand in the next 24-48 hours... :) Had mine since that concept started (been a Hotmail member since day 1 a very long time ago before anyone outside of the Hotmail developers even really knew about it), so it's a non-issue anyway because of my TechNet sub.

Yea i just hope im lucky enough to be one of the 2.5mill :( and yes i have hotmail accounts :) on a side note i've set the windows 7 page to my home website in the browser :D

I think Vista beta 2 had a similar limitation and was reached in about week. Luckily, I've got Technet for Win7, so it's a non-issue for me.

I think Vista beta 2 had a similar limitation and was reached in about week. Luckily, I've got Technet for Win7, so it's a non-issue for me.

really? never knew that :) cause i got to download the vista beta 2 from microsoft's site. Hopefully that it won't reach the limit till a few days from tomorrow.. anyways time for me to sleep so i can wake up early tomorrow(7:20AM) lol so i can wait for windows 7 beta.. while i do other thing of course haha.

If I get a key, great.. if not, we have MSDN at work so I can use that key to activate.

This doesn't really matter, as the exact ISO's (x86 and x64) you get from Microsoft has already been uploaded "elsewhere" on the net. I was getting much better speeds there then the official MS download.

So it looks like I'm going to have to come home early.

Noon on a Friday? WTH?

How do i get a key for this? Ive followed a link on the hardocp frontpage to start downloading the iso. Couldnt find any info from microsoft though.

How do i get a key for this? Ive followed a link on the hardocp frontpage to start downloading the iso. Couldnt find any info from microsoft though.

they've taken the public info offline to expand their infrastructure. Once they have it back up, they'll probably provide a link to get the key.

Back