Windows 7 Automatically Defragments My Flash Drive

Oline61

Gawd
Clean install of Windows 7, unpartitioned FAT32 formatted Kingston DataTraveler. Opened up disk defragmenter and selected my hard disks (C, F, System Reserved) and hit the defragment button. I left a few seconds later, all the hard disks were analyzing and nothing was happening to the flash drive. Came back after an hour and discovered that my flash drive had been defragmented too. Is there any way to prevent this from happening again?

Uhmmm... can't see a reason it would be a bad thing, really. Flash-RAM, even the low end stuff in USB "sticks" is rated for a few hundred thousand write cycles per cell so, unless you're constantly (and I do mean constantly) writing/blanking/writing/blanking/writing on the order of a few thousand times a day it wouldn't be a problem for a very very long time.

At least it shouldn't... :)

Best solution: unplug the USB stick(s) when you defrag, or do a command line defrag (defrag.exe from an Administrative Command Prompt) and only target specific drives, I suppose. One last option: only the drives you highlight in the Disk Defragmenter dialogue box will have any action taken on them. If you don't select a drive or specific drives by clicking on them to highlight them (then Control+click to add others) then it'll do them all...

Back