windows 7 audio sounds awful

xenium

2[H]4U
So ever since I switched to windows 7 (xp install got raped by a bunch of virus) the onboard audio on my m3178-cm sounds AWFUL. I know it's onboard so it's not going to sound good, but it sounds so much worse than when I had the correct asus drivers installed under xp.

Is ther anything I can do? The only thing that I can stand listening to is lossless stuff which still sounds distorted and crackly :mad:

are you using the stock drivers or did you install the latest from the vendor website? Windows 7 used alot of old drivers by default.

The stock Vista/7 drivers were good for me for my onboard realtek. I upgraded to the actual drivers and it unlocked the Equalizer and wowow! what a difference it makes when you enable it.

I try to run the setup from asus's site and it gives me the message: "does not support OS"

The stock Vista/7 drivers were good for me for my onboard realtek. I upgraded to the actual drivers and it unlocked the Equalizer and wowow! what a difference it makes when you enable it.

Most people have found the stock realtek drivers to not even work for most boards. Mine didnt. Had to grab the latest from Realteks website, which is fine they update their drivers about every 2 weeks. I like to have the newest drivers for everything installed, all the time :)

I ended up running the programs set to vista in compatibility mode. Worked great, sounds a lot better too.

Back