Windows 7 Audio Issues

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All,

I'd been dual booting Windows 7 with my XP install since the beta stage but just last week started migrating my games into 7. I hadn't played anything online requiring a mic until last night and it turns out my front mic port does not work in 7. The mic works fine plugged into the back of the card. Normally this solution would work for me but the wire for my headphones and mic are bundled together so if I want to use headphones I need to crawl under the desk to swap the plugs.

I'm using my mobos included SoundMAX audio card and everything worked fine under XP. The software for it is not 7 compatible so it was using generic audio drivers at fist. I installed the most recent (2007) Vista 64 audio drivers to see if that would help and much to my dismay the front ports still do not work.

Additionally, my 5.1 speakers don't seem to be working properly. After installing the Vista 64 drivers for the audio card, in the sound setup I can no longer select rear speakers and instead my rear speakers are listed as side speakers. Sound plays out of them during the test but if I play music I only get 2.1 sound. I haven't tried enough games to say for sure if the surround sound doesn't work properly for anything but with the myriad issues I'm having it wouldn't surprise me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any workaround? It's really irritating to think I'll need to keep using my XP partition to get a proper gaming experience.

From the many complaints I've read, it looks like audio chipset builders are dragging ass on creating full-featured Windows 7 drivers. The cards work and play-back stereo audio, but the more esoteric features are a crapshoot at this point.

If multi-channel audio means that much to you, I'd say continue using XP for gaming for the next 6 months. By that time, someone should be offering good support on Windows 7, and you can consider taking the plunge on a new soundcard.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problems with the SoundMax drivers on my Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe. After over 3 hours or trying, I gave up and I'm back on XP.

Just be glad you aren't trying to use a M-Audio Card. Took them till LAST YEAR to make Vista 64 drivers for the Revolution cards.

Back