windows 7 antivirus

volt01

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for an anti-virus program to use with windows 7, any recommendations would be appreciated

MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)

The BETA is closed that Microsoft was doing, but you can still Google it and download the installer from good trusted sites, it updates just fine. The official release should be out close to Win7 release date.

Just so you know, there are a million threads started about this every day.

The answer is always Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira Anti-Vir.

Using NOD32 as well. I would avoid the NOD32 ESS (their security suite) but their anti virus is robust and lightweight

I'm using Avira, in several large tests it has demonstrated a higher detection rate then any other virus program period. It's also pretty speedy, and the interface is nice.

I love these threads, it turns into an opinion fest.

As I said in my first post, if you want free, the BEST options PERIOD are MSE and Avira Anti-Vir. NOD32 is great... if you want to pay for it. You aren't gaining anything over the aforementioned AV's though.

I love these threads, it turns into an opinion fest.

As I said in my first post, if you want free, the BEST options PERIOD are MSE and Avira Anti-Vir. NOD32 is great... if you want to pay for it. You aren't gaining anything over the aforementioned AV's though.

Well he started the thread asking for opinions and hes going to get a good share of them both good and bad for all products.

I was using AVG Free 8.5 on Win7 x64 and had nothing but headaches.

I've moved to Avira and it's working great. I'm even contemplating paying the upgrade fee to get rid of the popup advertisement that it shows.

I've moved to Avira and it's working great. I'm even contemplating paying the upgrade fee to get rid of the popup advertisement that it shows.

Its possible to do that without paying, just google around.

Not for the new version, unfortunately.

Yes you can, google harder. ;) Regardless, I have moved to MSE fulltime and will never look back.

how often does the popup show? if its once a day ill give it a try.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Once a day, but why not just skip it all together and find out why all the regulars around here are loving MSE?

Once a day, but why not just skip it all together and find out why all the regulars around here are loving MSE?

ill give mse a shot once it goes live and gets some independent testing. I have nothing against mse, id just rather stick to something with a bit of a track record. I've been using kaspersky and avg until the licenses ran out, however my free version of avg has pop ups now so it seems like a good time to switch and try something else.

I'm using Avira, in several large tests it has demonstrated a higher detection rate then any other virus program period. It's also pretty speedy, and the interface is nice.

I find that it's more light weight than anything else that I've used. Plus other than the occasional popup it's not very intrusive either.

ill give mse a shot once it goes live and gets some independent testing. I have nothing against mse, id just rather stick to something with a bit of a track record. I've been using kaspersky and avg until the licenses ran out, however my free version of avg has pop ups now so it seems like a good time to switch and try something else.

MSE is basically Microsoft Forefront Client Security that they've been selling to corps. for a number of years. So the engine and detection mechanisms have been around for awhile. Why it took MS this long to turn it into a client platform, I'm not quite sure..

I'm using Avast Home + Malwarebytes. Seems pretty good thus far. Always scanning and updates frequently.

Plus it's free and no pop-ups other than to say it updated.

I'm using Avast Home + Malwarebytes. Seems pretty good thus far. Always scanning and updates frequently.

Plus it's free and no pop-ups other than to say it updated.

only thing i didnt like about Avast is they make you re register the free version every year
, sure its only onece a year but why the heck do i need to re register a free software?

I find that it's more light weight than anything else that I've used. Plus other than the occasional popup it's not very intrusive either.

I agree... very lightweight client. Google eliminating the pop up. I have never thought of doing so but after seeing the post here I did and 2 minutes later, no more pop up! Now it really is the perfect antivirus.

I am also using Avira. There's a simple way to turn off the ads after update. Just google it.

I have also used nod32. It is my favorite if you want the best and are willing to pay.

I tried using Trend Micro since the Microsoft security page for Win 7 claims Trend is a partner for antivirus. Trend doesn't run and gives an error about compatability with Win 7 32bit.

I'm not running anything for antivirus right now.

Trend Micro is pretty horrific even when it is running properly. Get MSE, Avast or Avira ASAP.

Back