Windows 7 and Optical Output

Bones117

n00b
I have seem to run in to the biggest problem with Windows 7. Everything has been great other then this huge problem.

I can't seem to get 5.1 sound enabled over optical out on my ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard. I have tried the recommended drivers from Windows, I also tried the Realtek HD audio drivers for vista and still have the problem where windows won't send more then the left and right channels.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

I had this working fine on Vista and everything was dandy.

If I can't get this working, I guess I'm going back to vista. :( I really liked Windows 7.

You might see if there is a BIOS update available for your MB. I had to do this on my MB to get the digital out working under windows 7.

Just updated the BIOS to the latest and still seem to have the issue. I'm guessing its just a driver/software issue.

When in the properties for the optical setup, I am able to run the DTS Audio test under the Supported Formats tab and properly get signal from all 6 speakers. :confused:

What video player, file type, codec, etc. are you using? It could be that you just don't have the right codecs installed or don't have your video player setup correctly.

I'm also using an optical audio connection connected to my HT setup and Windows 7 audio works fine for me so I don't think 7 could be at fault. Are you dual-booting with Vista? If so, does optical work right now with Vista?

What video player, file type, codec, etc. are you using? It could be that you just don't have the right codecs installed or don't have your video player setup correctly.

This.

Unfortunately most people think that just hooking up an audio system with S/PDIF is going to magically make everything work. Right off the bat I know in ffdshow you need to enable S/PDIF passthrough for DD/DTS tracks.

Didn't think about setting filters for SPDIF since I never had to do that in the past.

That worked and now I'm getting sound to all 6 channels. Thanks guys.

If it's only doing the left and right channel, it sounds like your decoder is outputting PCM, which is limited to 2.0 over SPDIF. If you do AC3/DTS passthrough, you will be able to get all 5.1 channels.

Back