Windows 7 and MIDI

Azhar

Fixing stupid since 1972
Anyone else able to play MIDI files on the latest build of Windows 7? I've tried using my onboard HD (and AC97) sound, and my XFi XtremeAudio, but neither would play MIDI files.

I've also tried installing VLC Player, K-Lite codec package, and CCCP codec package. Still no workie.

Midi file shouldn't need any codec as it's a hardware level format. Did you check the file associations? Does Windows recognize the file type? What happens when you try to play a file? Does it give you an error, no sound output, or just nothing? What build number?

Midi file shouldn't need any codec as it's a hardware level format. Did you check the file associations? Does Windows recognize the file type? What happens when you try to play a file? Does it give you an error, no sound output, or just nothing? What build number?

Yeah I checked association. I've even dragged a MIDI file into WMP and VLC.

In the Sound control panel there's no option to change MIDI hardware to software emulation like back in XP and Vista and prior.

I know MIDI is a hardware level "codec" but I was hoping codec packs would have software emulation to force MIDI to play since Windows 7 lacked it.

Check dxdiag, see if you can get any test playback there, it may be something enabled/disabled in there.

I'll have to try that when I get home. I'm at work for the next 5+ hours. Thanks for the tip.

Back