• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 and 8 questions

wjogert

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
3,108
Windows 8: Installed on laptop and HTPC. Have not yet upgraded to 8.1. Should I? Laptop would have to be the guinea pig as the HTPC took far too long to make 8 work properly.
UPDATE: Did the live upgrade to 8.1 on the laptop. Seemed to go well. Then I noticed my display driver was hosed, printer driver was hosed, and it would not let me keep my "offline" profile.
It would not boot Windows until I linked to an online account. Of course this required a second PC as the registration required me to enter a verification code sent via email. And then it wouldn't let me keep my existing log-on password because it wasn't strong enough.
I reinstalled the video driver and got my resolution options back, but programs still seem to run larger windows and text than they did before even though the screen res is back to what it was prior. ???
Had to completely remove the printer software and reinstall before the wireless printer would function again.

In no hurry what-so-ever to go through this on the HTPC, which took too much tweaking to make 8 play nicely in the first place.

Windows 7: On workstation, currently running Pro 32-bit. I'd like to run 64-bit for more RAM. Thought I heard that you can activate either with the same key? Or trade 32-bit key for a 64? My install disc only has 32-bit, so I'd also need to obtain medium.
UPDATE: Downloaded the 64-bit ISO directly from Microsoft Digital River. Works flawlessly with the 32-bit key. Thanks everyone :)
 
Last edited:
Regarding the Windows 7 workstation: it depends on if the OS is OEM or not. If the Pro-32 bit you are running is OEM, you are out of luck. 32-bit and 64-bit OEM are two separate products. If it is retail, then you can just reinstall as 64-bit and use the same key. Given that your disk is 32-bit only, I'm guessing the former case applies to you.

Can't help you on the Windows 8 question. I've read some articles which seemed to favor 8.1 over the original 8, but since I don't run any rigs with 8, I'd be talking out my @55. :)

-Tuthmose
 
You can use an OEM 32-bit key with 64-bit media. I've done it tons of times and had no issues with activation. You just need to get a hold of some 64-bit OEM media and you would be all set. Keep in mind that the OEM copies I have are from distributors. I've never tried it with a Dell/HP/etc key. If you have one of those you might run into issues
 
Actually it was an MSDNAA copy.

I searched around a bit (we got 2+ feet of snow today, so as a teacher I'm a on mother-nature-mandated vacation), and it seems that MSDNAA keys are freely interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions. So you should be fine.

-Tuthmose
 
Downloaded the 64-bit ISO directly from MS (digital river). Will try the install soon.

Still looking for any comments on the 8.1 upgrade before I attempt it.
 
8.1 is not hugely different from 8, other than it seems to work better, I have 4 machines that i upgraded to of varying age & quality and not a single problem was had. Id do it, no reason not to imo
 
Back
Top