Windows 7 advanced appearance settings bsod

Galvin

2[H]4U
If I navigate down to here
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance

Then click on Advanced Appearance Settings. The first time it works. But if I click the link again I get a BSOD everytime. It's not that big of a deal since I never really had to use this option. Was wondering if anyone else got this problem. One of the BSOD's from this was a bad_pool_header.

No one has been able to reproduce this. You may have to click on advanced appearance settings several times. Tested this today clicked on the link then hit cancel, and repeated that 3 times. 3rd time BSOD. When I rebooted windows came up with a dialogbox to find a solution. Clicked on find a solution and the box closed with no message. So after a few days already finding small bugs. But nothing that can be avoided.

I do have all the latest updates installed.

Followed your steps to try to reproduce this on two different machines, my tablet and my sig rig, and could not.

Can't reproduce the issue on my machines. Tried opening the advanced dialog 50 times each.

No repro here either. Sounds like you have some sort of bad hardware. Was your system OCed when you installed Windows?

Yes was OC when installed already ran a utility that checks the OS for any corrupted files and didn't find any. Been running core i7 920 for 6+ months now at 3.6ghz without any issues under vista.

Weird I can't reproduce it now. I did install while OC'd but I been rock solid stable at 3.6gz I did a lot of stress testing on windows vista. And been running at this speed 100% stable for 6+ months now.

Also used a command line utility that checks for win7 corruption and found none.

Only thing I did was reboot at normal cpu speed then rebooted back at 3.ghz and now I can't reproduce atm. Very strange.

Well I did a full reinstall at normal clockspeed. Now running at 3.4ghz with no issues. Just rolled it back from 3.6 to 3.4ghz.

Upload your last 2 mini dump files and I can take a look. Started using WinDB today and it helped me find out what was causing my BSODs while transferring files.

No one has been able to reproduce this. You may have to click on advanced appearance settings several times. Tested this today clicked on the link then hit cancel, and repeated that 3 times. 3rd time BSOD. When I rebooted windows came up with a dialogbox to find a solution. Clicked on find a solution and the box closed with no message. So after a few days already finding small bugs. But nothing that can be avoided.

I do have all the latest updates installed.

What does google say about

"bad_pool_header"

if anything?

I'm not worried about the issue anymore since I did a full reinstall and have not been able to reproduce the problem. My guess is something went bad in either the install or a bad driver install. I'll be doing some new stability tests this week. Win7 maybe more sensitive to OC'ing than vista was. Though windows 7 didn't detect I was using an SSD and superfetch and windows search was active had to stop and disable both of those services.

Don't have the log files anymore of the old install.

Back