• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 accelerated vs onboard audio

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,911
Hey guys I am currently running windows xp and I used to dual boot to vista, I have an older x-fi platinum regular pci and it got moved to my newer system when I built my newer i7 system. I was not impressed on the whole mess of windows vista and the x-fi requiring a glide-wrapper to get the eax working on games.

My friend was telling me that I might be better off using my onboard audio than using the old x-fi, His reasoning was that the integrated audio off my asus p6tdeluxe ADI® AD2000B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC is pretty excellent and that it would reduce lag from driving the southbridge controller on the motherboard because regular pci is already obsolete and that I would not see any gains on windows 7 64 bit.
It all come down to that if I was gonna use a digital output then maybe I could benefit on stand alone accelerated sound card.

So what do you guys think? is accelerated audio still a mess like it was on vista?

Factors to know
currently on xp, used to dual boot to vista (didn't love it) Planning to move to Windows 7 64bit.
Asus P6T Deluxe 1366 socket
x-fi platinum regular pci.
Cambridge soundworks 7.1 system (I got it off work for free at work, was too large for bosses desk, he bought the 2.1 system and swapped out 2 speakers, so 2 of speakers on this are smaller.
Audio Technica A900ltd's headset.
 
So what do you guys think? is accelerated audio still a mess like it was on vista?

What's so messy about it? You install Creative Alchemy and let it enable EAX in your games. Done. EAX is still hardware accelerated, Vista/7 just require Alchemy to translate the old Directsound calls into OpenAL.

EAX is obsolete. Creative now wants game developers to use OpenAL's EFX interface.

My friend was telling me that I might be better off using my onboard audio than using the old x-fi, His reasoning was that the integrated audio off my asus p6tdeluxe ADI® AD2000B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC is pretty excellent and that it would reduce lag from driving the southbridge controller on the motherboard because regular pci is already obsolete and that I would not see any gains on windows 7 64 bit.
Like I said, hardware accelerated audio works fine. You probably wont hear much/any discernible quality difference with music/movies, but it won't hurt anything to use the X-fi card. You might as well drop it in for the EAX capabilities.

It all come down to that if I was gonna use a digital output then maybe I could benefit on stand alone accelerated sound card.
With digital out there shouldn't be any real quality difference between onboard and the X-Fi, they just pass the data on to the receiver. The only difference is that the X-Fi supports EAX and such.
 
Last edited:
using win7 64 with x-fi platinum pci. i can tell you my onboard is garbage in comparison. i haven't had a creative driver problem yet on win7. if a guy is going to use a toslink to an outside dac like a preamp or receiver, no difference. if you are using digital output to speakers, the output from your pci card will sound better.
 
Most (all?) new games don't use EAX anyway, so the Alchemy is really only an issue for older games. Unless you are doing digital out to a receiver, you'll get better quality and performance (albeit slight) from the Creative card. Just roll with it.
 
Back
Top