Windows 7, 8.1 moving to Windows 10’s cumulative update model

This is an interesting move. So those running 7 and 8, how do you feel about this move?

What Microsoft won't be doing after October, however, is shipping the individual hotfixes any more. Fixes will only be available through the Monthly Rollup or security-only update. This means that the ability to pick and choose individual fixes to apply will be removed; they'll be distributed and deployed as a singular all-or-nothing proposition. Microsoft argues that this will improve patch and system reliability.

Windows 7, 8.1 moving to Windows 10’s cumulative update model

"Microsoft argues that this will improve patch and system reliability."

translation: Now we can install whatever the fuck we like and you can't do shit to stop us.
And unfortunate side effect of cumulative updating (which by itself I don't have a problem with).

definitely againt this, I like to install the updates I need/want...
when I want....
MS is really pissing a lot of people off... ,

I guess I just won't be updating my 8.1 install after October, then.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
I don't have enough time to worry about what updates MS might be installing on my PC. If I need to do anything finance related, etc, I use my android tablet. MS can install what they want on my PC.

I don't have enough time to worry about what updates MS might be installing on my PC. If I need to do anything finance related, etc, I use my android tablet. MS can install what they want on my PC.

The irony here is how many Android tablets are out there with any number of security issues that will never get end user updates.

marlinog There are still ways to upgrade your Windows to Win 10 for free. Google is your friend.

Thanks!

Silver (Former employee of MS)

You can still get Windows 10 for free, by using a bootable USB installer. It will accept Windows 7/Windows 8 Pro and non-pro product keys.

The irony here is how many Android tablets are out there with any number of security issues that will never get end user updates.

Two Nexus 9's and two Nexus 5's here, both getting security updates all the time....

If this applies to security patches and stuff... okay. I don't like it. But okay. I can deal with that.

If they start doing this with device drivers and related software, though, and if this means the OS gets "reinstalled" in the same way the Windows 10 Anniversary does, they can fuck right off.

If this applies to security patches and stuff... okay. I don't like it. But okay. I can deal with that.

If they start doing this with device drivers and related software, though, and if this means the OS gets "reinstalled" in the same way the Windows 10 Anniversary does, they can fuck right off.

The Anniversary update is pretty major, a little more than just a patch. I don't have an issue with major annual upgrades rolling out as a reinstall, as long as it doesn't cost me anything and provided such a process doesn't bork my system - So far the process has met both of my criteria so I'm fine with it.

Yea, if this means they are going to bundle in driver updates too I will be livid.

Yea, if this means they are going to bundle in driver updates too I will be livid.

It'll just mean disabling windows updates and being back to the days of getting every driver direct from the HW vendor (Intel, Nvidia, etc)

It'll just mean disabling windows updates and being back to the days of getting every driver direct from the HW vendor (Intel, Nvidia, etc)
Unless this update dramatically changes the way updates are installed and it blocks you from refusing said updates.

Because you know Microsoft is capable of pulling that crap on us.

They're doing everything short of a full page ad in major newspapers and on some websites that says "FUCK YOU, USERS OF WINDOWS 7/8/8.1, IT'S OUR OPERATING SYSTEM AND WE'RE GOING TO DO WHAT WE WANT WITH IT WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT."

I'm like >this< close to dumping even Windows 7 and just using OSX/macOS on my Latitude 24/7. I've done it before, had zero issues, got better performance than a comparably equipped MBP to be honest, might just have to do it again.

Microsoft, what the fuck are you people doing? :confused:

This is not a good thing.

Hilariously, Vista isn't moving to this travesty of a scheme... yet.

You're better off on your Windows PC...

You'd be better off using something secure instead of Android for finance (oh, and that's not Windows PC).

I'm like >this< close to dumping even Windows 7 and just using OSX/macOS on my Latitude 24/7. I've done it before, had zero issues, got better performance than a comparably equipped MBP to be honest, might just have to do it again.

Hackintosh is illegal and discussion of it is not allowed on [H]. Just FYI.

Hackintosh is illegal and discussion of it is not allowed on [H]. Just FYI.
That's not really true. There's a difference between mentioning it and asking/showing someone how to do it. Only the latter is shut down by mods and admins.

Watch: Hackintosh is running OS X/macOS on a PC not made by Apple.

That's not really true. There's a difference between mentioning it and asking/showing someone how to do it. Only the latter is shut down by mods and admins.

Watch: Hackintosh is running OS X/macOS on a PC not made by Apple.

In my experience, all Hackintosh discussion is shut down.

This isn't a discussion, it's a passing mention.

No one is asking or explaining how to do it. Threads are closed when it gets into that territory.

Back