Windows 7 64bit USB problems

Recycling1

n00b
I'm having some trouble ejecting any type of USB mass storage device from windows 7. I have enabled quick removal and tried disabling write caching on the external drives but every time i try to "safely remove" the drives i get a message that its currently in use(even though im positive there are no programs using it or explorer windows open). A little searching on the windows 7 forums revealed that there are quite a few other people with similar problems but nothing definitive in the way of a solution. Currently having the issue with the samsung F3 drive in a hotswap dock and also on a mybook. Its not a huge deal as i just have to shut down the pc to pull them out but it would be nice to get the safely remove hardware feature of windows working correctly. Anyone else having these problems or find a cause/solution.

Thanks

have you accidentally made the device a ReadyBoost device? If so, disable it and try again.

Nope, no readyboost enabled.
Its like something in windows 7 just takes over the drive after a certain amount of time and wont let you eject.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

What about media library? Did you let Media Player or Media Center or Win7's Library folder scan the device to be part of it's music, video, or picture library?

If you did, you might still be able to use the device as part of the library. Just make it available for offline sync in the Sync Center in Control Panel.

No library scans as far as I know. Thats the strange thing about this is its a fresh install of win7 with almost no tweaking or scanning of files and both of the drives eject fine on an 32 bit xp machine.

Back