Windows 7 (64) - lots of "NOT RESPONDING"

rivrbyte

Limp Gawd
WINDOWS 7 (64) Pinnacle Studio 14 HD Ultimate / Q6600 2.4 GHz / 8GB DDR2

Ok..here I go again...
I recently wiped my HDD Clean of Windows XP (32) and installed Windows 7 PRO (64). After loading all the 64 Bit drivers and software,hardware,back onto my computer, it was working fine and I created a restore point. (so I thought, I did not know it still would not be there when I recently needed it)
One software program in particular, pinnacle Studio 14 HD Ultimate was working without a hitch, then while in the middle of editing a project, The Titles and motions disappeared and i ended up with exclamation pints...only studio users would d know what I'm taking about. I saw "STUDIO NOT RESPONDING ..."STUDIO PROGRAM FILE HAS STOPPED WORKING", :confused:

I noticed the screen turned a transparent white,and also the NOT RESPONDING at the top of the program glared me in the face.

I went to Control panel and tried to REPAIR, did not work, so I tried to uninstall the program, and it would not let me. So I downloaded as per Pinnacles Support team told me, a uninstaller program named REVO Uninstaller Pro, that took some,but not the main program off, I then manually removed files from Win.Explorer. I then downloaded RegDelete_14,that also helped a little. I then tried the Windows Install Cleanup.

I went into the registry (carefully) and manually removed any instances of pinnacle, pinnacle studio 14, etc. Booted up, Ran CHKDSK/F in DOS mode. Then MSCONFIG, and looked into Services, but no studio was there.

I then tried to install Studio 14 HD with the install disks,but it told me a few error messages like "System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation", I turned OFF the (UAC) User Account Control off. Another message while trying to install was , "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version, use add/remove programs on the control panel."

So, so now, I gave up on Studio 14, and downloaded the 30 day trial of Studio 15 HD. After a two hour download, it successfully runs with no problems.......EXCEPT. One minor blurp while doing some working on a file, I noticed the NOT RESPONDING again!

I ran the Western Digital lifeguard Tool on all my three HDD'S, in the extended test mode and they all passed. Under My Computer, I did see the 8GB RAM installed.

I noticed this when I'm on other websites,it just displays that NOT RESPONDING message.

What could cause this? Thank you!

Last edited:
memory Check.....I went into BIOS, and the Physical Memory is 8192 MB / Cache Size 4096. My Computer properties also tells me I have 8GB Installed memory.

I went into EVENT VIEWER. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. The Administrative Events date back from July 20, 2011 (When I installed Win7) Shows 3,775 files,to today, mostly errors and a few Information, but is there something under Custom Views or Applications and services I should be looking at?

Another thing I failed to mention, was that the system is hanging for a few seconds before it decides to comply with my commands.

/usr/home -
"You can download Ultimate bootcd and burn it". Guess I haven't had enough coffee yet, why am I burning anything? If my BIOS is showing memory of 8192 MB, do I still need to perform this task....is this what the memtest 86 is for?

Last edited:
Run Memtest 86+ for at least two passes. You can download Ultimate bootcd and burn it, boot to it, and run memtest from there. There's also hard drive tools on the Ultimate bootcd. Run WD for a WD drive, Seatools for a Seagate drive, etc.

I went into EVENT VIEWER. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. The Administrative Events date back from July 20, 2011 (When I installed Win7) Shows 3,775 files,to today, mostly errors and a few Information, but is there something under Custom Views or Applications and services I should be looking at?

Yea, you are looking for any errors on or after the time this popped up on you (probably most likely in application, or system events). There may be a lead as to why it's happening.

Last edited:
Otherwise use process explorer then check what is using up the cpu time. If its defer hardware calls its your hdd

Back