Windows 7 64 install frustrations

Nostrovia

Limp Gawd
I'm currently working on my windows 7 64bit install (obviously have it installed atm) BUT am having nothign but issues all over. I had just installed a new videocard, and 3 new harddrives.... BUT, have had to bend over backwards to get my Xfi Fatal1ty to work properly, had to download a secondary driver pack (dolby digital pack) to get my dolby digital to work, however i put a dvd in my dvd player and it starts... plays maybe 2 seconds and then stops and gives me the options, of goto library or play... click play and the same happens again. The dvd drive is the same one that i had in the computer when running vista 32, so it's a bit... take that back, VERY frustrating at this moment that i've wasted 2 days off now trying to get everything working properly

and yet i have 4gb of ram on my system.... 1gb in each slot.. BUT win7 keeps telling me i have 3gbs... wtf!

sorry for the rant but i've lost my last nerve..lol anyone who's had such luck let me know.

(this rig is the e8500 in my sig... just new hdds/videocard

BUT, have had to bend over backwards to get my Xfi Fatal1ty to work properly, had to download a secondary driver pack (dolby digital pack) to get my dolby digital to work
Using IE <-- Have to to get this to work, follow this link and click agree and run the software auto update. It will scan and give you the most recent software available for that card. Again, you must use IE to get it to work.
however i put a dvd in my dvd player and it starts... plays maybe 2 seconds and then stops and gives me the options, of goto library or play... click play and the same happens again. The dvd drive is the same one that i had in the computer when running vista 32, so it's a bit... take that back, VERY frustrating at this moment that i've wasted 2 days off now trying to get everything working properly
Click Start ->Default Programs->Change Autoplay->Under DVD choose the program to open with. See if that fixes it.
and yet i have 4gb of ram on my system.... 1gb in each slot.. BUT win7 keeps telling me i have 3gbs... wtf!
Sounds like 32 bit Windows... but even 32 bit says 4GB even though it can't address it all.

Start by going to task manager and performance tab. On the left bottom where it says Physical Memory, see what it says there after Total _________

If it says 3xxx available, press win+pause and verify System Type 64-bit operating system and Installed Memory 4GB (or whatever yours says).

If by following these steps you verify that all areas of the OS are reporting correctly/incorrectly, go into the BIOS and make sure the voltage/timings are set appropriately for your memory.

Thanks bigdog.

I appreciate the link for creative update... oddly enough i tried to run the auto updater under my creative folder on startup and it never did a single thing..lol.

I had tried to run the DVD through Media Center this time, and the same thing happened, the dvd played for a few seconds (tried doom, van helsing, king of queens and it happened to all 3) BUT via media center I got a message saying that drivers aren't installed or there's an error. i'll prolly give driver sweep (or whatever it's called, i have it on dvd somehwere) and see what i can do.

Going the system properties my windows 7 is a 64bit win7 install. but via task manager my total physical memory is 3070. hmmm... being an evga 780i board there's 4 memory slots and all 4 are filled with 1gb sticks of pc6400, ugh, i'll have to open it up and see if one came loose or something maybe...

The issue with media center, when i installed my videocard (gtx 470sc) i used two 6pin modular lines from the psu rather than using the 2 dual 4 pin molex to 6pin conectors that were provided with the card. that way it kept the excess wires to a minimum. it should be receiving adequate power either way (850watt psu). hmmm

I just found out why the video wasn't working... took some more looking around... apparently Nvidia isn't shipping codecs with their videocards these days, since i was rocking an 8800gt for so long i never really bothered to d/l any codecs.. guess it's back to the klite pack :D

Windows 7 negates the need for "codec packs" like K-Lite, etc. The only thing that Windows 7 can't natively handle are:

- Real Media files in any format (.rm, .rmvb, etc) - you'd need to install RealAlternative to get that compatibility
- MKV container files natively (regardless of the audio/video streams inside) - you'd need to install Haali's Media Splitter and with that one thing Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center can both read MKV files without issues

As far as codecs, Windows 7's native multiformat decoder can play pretty much 99% of the content floating around out there - add one decent media player like Media Player Classic Homecinema and you're effectively looking at 99.9% compatibility (save for that damned Real Media crap again).

Codec packs... nothing but trouble for most people and simply unnecessary anymore. Clean install Windows 7 on a machine (32 or 64 bit), install Haali's Media Splitter = 99.9% compatibility basically out of the box, done.

alright so, checking out this Haali's media splitter.. whwat exactly is it? the site just looks like a change log, i'm getting the impression it's a player similar to VLC?

Still irritates me that Nvidia doesn't send a codec for DVD playback with their drivers... what good is WMP to me if i can't really use it to watch a movie? lol. Only time i use it is for watching dvds, haven't even used VLC in quite some time to be honest, only to watch my guitar world magazine dvds, sinc ei wont use quicktime.

alright so, checking out this Haali's media splitter.. whwat exactly is it? the site just looks like a change log, i'm getting the impression it's a player similar to VLC?

It's not a media player at all. It's basically a file splitter that lets Windows Media Player to play back .MKV files, the more common format for HD content.

I clicked the technical support link under WMP12's about wmp. Looking through the list of codecs/etc on the link... it shows a mpeg2 audio/video codec.. still somewhat annoyed that if it says it's there why isn't it playing...lol

For the RAM piece, it looks like 1 of the sticks is not registering. You may have bumped it installing your new hardware. Pull the RAM and re-install it just to be sure.

klite codec add support for flac and other audio formats plus it plays better some video format it got sub support and many many more great things so it much needed in windows 7 noobs

the RAM issue I figured out...lol For a lack of beter words, I had a blonde moment, coulda sworn when i built the computer yeras ago it had 4gb of ram... when in fact it was 3gb (2 1gb sticks and 2 512mb sticks) I feel dumb after that lol.

But thanks for the codec help, i was a bit suprised by that problem

WTH this is being a real pain in the ass. just installed crysis, and no matter which version i run 32 or 64bit i get NO sound at all... wtf. is win7 64 really this much of a headache? lol i not once had a problem with vista lol

WTH this is being a real pain in the ass. just installed crysis, and no matter which version i run 32 or 64bit i get NO sound at all... wtf. is win7 64 really this much of a headache?

Not really. Make sure that your audio drivers have been installed.

sound drivers are installed, don't get audio in crysis, warhead, the witcher EE is a mixed bag. fromt he get go no sound.... with witcher selected in alchemy i get sound.. but only stereo, select eax in game and then i get no sound... but can't get it to run 5.1 like it used to.

need for speed hot pursuit i have sound, stalker cop sound... installing nfs shift in a sec.

I don't get this, i've never had so many headaches on a damn os install... and i've been doing this for 20 years.

Oh shit: You're using a Creative sound card. That would explain the audio: Last I heard, Creative's 64bit sound drivers pretty much sucks.

Judging from what I've been going through the past 3 days I would have to agree..lol.

I could always use the onboard audio...ugh, haven't used one since my first nforce board for amd 3800+.. i think..

Is there a better alternative that will be more "stable" through a 64bit system. the 780i has onboard, but like i mentioned before it's been forever since i used an onboard audio solution. And Back then I wasn't very pleased with it's quality

Yeah it's been a while since I've used Creative sound cards but did you install something called "alchemy"?

Also just confirm my posts, actually try using the onboard sound first and see if the issue still occurs

Alchemy is only for restoring surround sound effects that was lost during xp-7 jump, make sure install the audio card drivers for everything else. I have a Creative X-Fi 5.1 usb card and haven't had one problem with it to date, windows 7 pro 64bit and used it for 2 years already.

I have the drivers installed, had to use the autoupdate to even get dolby/dts support on it. crysis/warhead for instance are fully patched and no sound at all. I know alchemy's use, i've used it from day 1 with vista for c&c generals and Neverwinter Nights 2.

This is an after thought, when i installed the drivers for the 470 there was the option of the HD audio driver installation and i unchecked that.... doing so wouldn't have caused this problem? woudl it?

I dont remember seeing a prompt for the audio drivers for the 780i when i installed the nforce drivers. and i dont see them on the nvidia website

Back