Windows 7 64 bit bandwidth capped?

vocab

Limp Gawd
I just got a new comp and have w7 64 bit ultimate, and I'm completely capped on Steam and probably downloads in general. I get stuck at 1.5 Mbs on steam, and the rest of my internet gets throttled. High pings in vent, high pings on server lists, and high ping in games. This doesn't happen with my old computer, so I'm figuring it's a QoS issue with either W7 or something that's wrong in Tomato with my router. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a NIC driver issue. Assuming your Win 7 computer is the one in your sig, I see LAN drivers for your motherboard here for Windows Vista 32/64bit, which may or may not work for Win 7 64bit.

Lots of reported issue with nVidia NICs in Win7. I'd grab the latest OEM drivers direct from nVidia. If that doesn't solve your problem, toss in a NIC.

Actually, that computer in my sig is outdated. Sorry about that. I have an MSI board, and I dled the latest Realtek drivers, and still the same problem.

Are you connecting the computer to the router with ethernet cable? If so, try using the cable from your old computer on your new one. The cable you're using might be damaged.

Are you connecting the computer to the router with ethernet cable? If so, try using the cable from your old computer on your new one. The cable you're using might be damaged.

Yes. I'm using the same cables, and the same exact setup from the previous computer.

Hmm. I'm currently on my old computer, and I'm still capped at 1.5, with the high pings. It's definitely not an NIC issue. I'm gonna try taking out the router next. I don't remember this being a problem when I was on my old computer.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 12729 kbps (1591.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3567 kbps (445.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Second try after I waited a bit.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 21081 kbps (2635.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3311 kbps (413.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

disable the stateful packet inspection feature common to most soho routers... some of them are just bad

Sounds more like your having issues with your router..

What version of WRT is it? Since you mentioned tomato. Wrt54g's are NOT fast routers, and are getting very dated. Also check and QoS / Traffic shaping settings that may be set.

Pretty sure it's a WRT54GL. I'm not at my computer right now. Either way, I still get high pings on both, but without the router, it might be a little bit lower. So I really don't know what the problem is

Back