Windows 7 32bit reinstall disk, online?

ComputerGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a laptop I am reinstalling the OS on and I need the 32 bit version of Windows 7 home premium, could any one point me in the right direction to get this. Thanks!

OK Thanks I found it, just took me a while sifting through the millions of updates on microsofts website. Thanks!

Your key night not work because it was probably OEM branded. There is a tool to make the ISOs work for OEM codes but can't remember the name of it now.

As long as you are using the correct version of the OS on the original computer it should work, I never have had it fail.

But you can't dload OEM ISOs, only retail. Like I said, there is way to make it work with OEM too but it requires a utility to do it.

With Vista and 7, there are no OEM or Retail discs anymore. The setup program is smart enough to generate the correct PID based on the key used. With XP it was as simple as changing the SETUPP.INI file to change the media type.

Hmm, it was a person here (Joe Blogg maybe) who I saw post you need a certain utility to change some file in retail Win7 ISO to make it work with OEM key. I even downloaded the utility to do it but never got around to using it. Guess he was wrong then. I have the utility backed up on an external HDD and will look for it later anyway just so you can see what I am talking about.

Hmm, it was a person here (Joe Blogg maybe) who I saw post you need a certain utility to change some file in retail Win7 ISO to make it work with OEM key. I even downloaded the utility to do it but never got around to using it. Guess he was wrong then. I have the utility backed up on an external HDD and will look for it later anyway just so you can see what I am talking about.

On Win7 images, there's a file (ei.cfg) you can modify to change which edition is installed by default. If you delete it, setup will ask you which edition you want to install, and your key will have to match that edition when it asks for it later. That's the only difference between so called Home Premium, Ultimate, etc disks. Now x86 and x64 discs ARE different, and you can't install one version with the other version's disc.

Vista asked for the key first, then determined what you were trying to install from it. If you didn't put in a key, it asked you which one to install and would ask for a key later.

What's the difference between oem or retail install if its the same version of windows? I mean it should be the same install. Why would it matter if the oem key is being used for the system it was originally registered with?

The key is part of the license that allows you to use Windows. Using the wrong key on the wrong system will create an illegitimate installation. Retell keys allow for transfers of the license to another machine while OEM licenses are permanently tired to the first system they are used on

The key is part of the license that allows you to use Windows. Using the wrong key on the wrong system will create an illegitimate installation. Retell keys allow for transfers of the license to another machine while OEM licenses are permanently tired to the first system they are used on

I know that what I was asking is why would there be a difference in installing an retail iso and then using the oem key if its the same system the oem key was first used with. Why would it matter if its the same verison of windows being used? As stated above you have to mess with the a file in the iso so that the oem verison of windows is installed. What I was asking is what is different in the oem install from the retail install if they are both the same windows edition. Figured it would be on microsofts end to make sure the oem key is only being used for one system.

I know that what I was asking is why would there be a difference in installing an retail iso and then using the oem key if its the same system the oem key was first used with. Why would it matter if its the same verison of windows being used? As stated above you have to mess with the a file in the iso so that the oem verison of windows is installed. What I was asking is what is different in the oem install from the retail install if they are both the same windows edition.

Unless you're talking about XP, there is no file to mess with to switch distribution channels (OEM, RETAIL, VL, etc). That's determined solely by the key you enter after setup has completed. As long as you have met the requirements of the license (valid key, activation, COA, etc), the medium you use to install with does not matter. The only difference between the installations are the generated Product IDs. Otherwise, they are bit for bit identical.

Figured it would be on microsofts end to make sure the oem key is only being used for one system.
It is. Their activation servers keep track of how many times a key has been used to activate during a certain time period, and it's it's exceeded or the hardware differs substantially, activation will fail.

On Win7 images, there's a file (ei.cfg) you can modify to change which edition is installed by default. If you delete it, setup will ask you which edition you want to install, and your key will have to match that edition when it asks for it later. That's the only difference between so called Home Premium, Ultimate, etc disks. Now x86 and x64 discs ARE different, and you can't install one version with the other version's disc.

Vista asked for the key first, then determined what you were trying to install from it. If you didn't put in a key, it asked you which one to install and would ask for a key later.

OK, now I remember, that is what that utility I was talking about is for editing. Thanks for clarification.

It is. Their activation servers keep track of how many times a key has been used to activate during a certain time period, and it's it's exceeded or the hardware differs substantially, activation will fail.

Yea, then you just phone them up and say you had to buy a new mb because the old one failed. ;)

Back