Windows 2012 Server option question

Kingpin

Gawd
Trying to figure out the best server software to get for my needs.....

I built 2 mini pc servers using the following parts below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101134&Tpk=N82E16856101134
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116503&Tpk=N82E16819116503
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239289&Tpk=N82E16820239289 x2

I successfully got both up and running with 3 VMs each using MS Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation. I built these for testing purposes but they have been perfect for my needs. But now my activation period is set to expire, though I did to a successful rearm for now.

I want to permanently activate windows server but Im a bit confused on what version I should try to get. I came across a copy that says "Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard - 2 CPUs/2VM Base License", but not sure what the 2 cpu/2vm actually means and what the actual limitations are for that. Then there is the "Windows Server Standard 2012 64-Bit 5 Client". Does that mean I can install this copy on up to 5 separate pcs? And if so again is there a limitation on the number of VMs I can run. I was looking to plan on adding a larger server to run up to an additional 20 VMs to the 2 servers (6 VMs) Im running now in the near future.

Just trying to figure out my best options.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Server 2012 (Standard or Datacenter) per license, is for 2 CPU sockets. The only difference between Standard and Datacenter is the amount of VM licenses you are granted with it.

A single Server 2012 Standard license grants you up to 2 VM's on a 2 CPU socket system.

You can run up to 2 VM's with one license as long as the underlying OS is only running Hyper-V/ESXi. If you run anything else , you can only run 1 VM.

So for example:

Install server onto physical box. Enable Hyper-V but nothing else -> I can run 2 VM's
Install ESXi onto physical box. I can run 2 Windows Server 2012 VM's
Install server onto physical box. Do not enable any roles, but share files -> I can run 1 VM
Install server onto physical box. Enabled File Services role-> I can run 1 VM
Install server onto physical box. Enable File Services, Active Directory, and DNS -> I can run 1 VM

You're other option is to download Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, which does not require any licenses but requires being managed remotely or via cmd line, then just use your Standard license to run 2 VM's. That way you know for sure you are compliant.

If the server has 4 CPU sockets, you need 2 Standard Licenses and can go up to 4 VM's. But if you have a system this powerful, I would just buy Datacenter and be allowed unlimited VM's.

Last edited:
There are a few different ways to go. If you're just going to run VMs that don't require a license, you don't even need to buy Server 2012. Instead, you can use Hyper-V 2012 R2. You won't be able to do anything else with it, but if you're just running VMs, that should work perfectly for you.

When you install full blown server 2012, you have two basic choices for a hypervisor:

Standard
With standard you can activate two additional Windows Operating systems as VMs. You can have more than 2 Vms, but you'll have to take care of the licensing costs on your own.

Datacenter
With Datacenter, all windows guests are licensed at no additional charge.

If you're going to have 20 vms, I would look into Datacenter to see how much it's going to cost for the OS on each of those and see if buying a copy of Datacenter for each of your host.

Im pretty ignorant at all this so this is a big learning lesson for me trying to figure all this out. Given that, with the machines Im running now, specs listed in first post, since its a 1 cpu socket system, why does the eval let me run a good number of VMs if it's supposed to be limited to just 2?

Going to look into the Hyper-V 2012 R2. Id like to jump on the dreamspark aspect but this really isnt for learning other then teaching myself.

All Im using these systems for is multiple VMs which are connected into through logmein central. I dont need to use them for anything other then the VMs and what the VMs are used for themselves. With these current systems I was trying to give each VM 4 gigs of ram each for use, though I could take it down to 3 and maybe 2 if in a pinch if the need for more VMs comes calling. Though that will prob be taken care of when I do a larger VM server.

why does the eval let me run a good number of VMs if it's supposed to be limited to just 2?

T there is no hard limit of 2. The 2 is the number of VMs that you can license for free.

Look at it this way, if you wanted two 2012 VMS...

On hyper v, you would need one license of of server 2012. It would activate the host and the two VMS.

On any other hypervisor, you would need three licensees of 2012.

If you wanted to add a third server 2012 VM to the hyper v machine, you could, you would just need to buy another license to a to a activate it.

this really isnt for learning other then teaching myself.

what??? The whole point of dreamspark is for teaching yourself...teaching yourself is a form of learning and a form of education...

As long as you're not using it for business purposes you're not breaking any rules...

Microsoft uses the honor system. You could buy a Standard license and install it on a 4 CPU system and run 50 VM's if you wanted. That doesn't mean your legal, just because you can do it.

Back