Windows 2008 Server - 6008 unexpected shutdown

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a box that has been running Windows 2008 Enterprise Server stable for over a year. It's the full install, Hyper-V is installed and runs a couple VMs.

Yesterday the machine had an "unexpected shutdown". I looked through the event logs, and the last event (normal event) was logged approximately 30 minutes prior to the shutdown. No MEMORY.DMP or minidump file was created even though those options are enabled, leading me to believe it wasn't a crash.

Basically I have no idea why the machine shut down, and I have no idea where to look as to find out what happened. I am the only one with a login to that machine, the password is very strong and not written down anywhere. It's unlikely someone else was able to log in and shut it down. In addition a message came up during start-up asking to enter a reason for the unexpected shutdown.

The eventlog does have a 6008 error logged saying that: The previous system shutdown at 9:10:14 AM on 1/30/2009 was unexpected.

Any thoughts?

Nope, the box is located at an actual data center, the power there only goes out once a year, on the third Sunday in May, for 2 hours for electrical system maintenance. I had confirmed with them that there was no type of maintenance happening yesterday, and their logs show no one was physically working on the rack that my box is in who could have accidentally pulled both power cords, or held the power button down long enough to shut the box down.

Back