windows 2003 terminal services issue

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, here is the thing. I am used to the windows XP way of doing terminal services.

When you log into another XP machine, or even windows 2000 server machine you basically "take control" of that box.
When you log in you are instantly presented with whatever is on the screen at the local end. IE... if a command window is open, you see that command window. If you close the command window and log out.. when the person logs in locally that command window has been closed. Get my drift?

Anyway, I am new to windows 2003 server and it doesnt seem to follow the normal way of terminal services that I am used to. In fact, when I log into the box, even though I see a command window open on the local computer, when I log in remotly, there is no command window. It's as if the 2003 computer is generating a completly new session for the remote login.

i dont want this obviously. Is there anyway to setup the 2003 box to function like the terminal services I am used to seeing?

you have TS setup in remoteadmin mode. Although you think rthats what you want it really just like application mode ecept 2 user limit. what you should be able to go is uninstall TS. right-click my computer > properties. click on remote tab and enable rdp. RDP is what your use to.

If what I think your saying is right, I already have remote desktop enabled.

I have the boxed that says "allow people to connect to this computer" checked in the my computer properties.

How do I change teminal services to act like it does in XP.

cyr0n_k0r said:
If what I think your saying is right, I already have remote desktop enabled.

I have the boxed that says "allow people to connect to this computer" checked in the my computer properties.

How do I change teminal services to act like it does in XP.

OK. you need to uninstall terminal services and use that check box. that should use remote desktop instead of TS meaning you'll take control. but i'm pretty sure TS cannot be installed for it to work because TS uses the rdp protcol as well.

well, Ive uninstalled terminal services from the windows components thing in add remove programs.

Made sure the remote desktop box was checked.. and its still doing what is was before.

I have a command window open on the server and when I log in I dont see that command window.

EDIT:

I fixed the problem by going to command and typeing mstsc /console

also, you can right click on the remote desktop item in your accessorices menu and add /console after the shortcut path.. this will allow you to log into a 2003 machine just like you would an XP machine.

cyr0n_k0r said:
EDIT:

I fixed the problem by going to command and typeing mstsc /console

also, you can right click on the remote desktop item in your accessorices menu and add /console after the shortcut path.. this will allow you to log into a 2003 machine just like you would an XP machine.

i learn something new everyday. wonder if that was because you had TS installed. because i'm pretty user its already in console mode by deafult. If you turn rdp on it should work.

2k and 2k3 server allow 2 connections with out installing Terminial Service, and they do not default to console mode.

Also, XP will only let you see the console session if you log in as the same user.

Here's a "trick" I learned:

With Remote Desktop open, enter all or none of the information to configure the RDP session, save the session file.

Open the resulting session file and place "connect to console:i:1" as the first line and save.

End result will be a shortcut that will always connect to the console session of a *2K3* server, it does not work with Windows 2000.

Back