Windows 2003 Server Version??

HurtMeP1nty007

Limp Gawd
I have a computer setup as a gateway for 5 other comps. and it is also a fileserver. What version of windows 2003 server would suite me best?

Standard
Enterprise
Datacenter
Web
SBS

Thanks for the info

HurtMeP1nty007

from the sound of that all you would need is standard. are you going to be using it for anything else than a file server, maybe a streaming media server :p.

SBS is nice because it supports up to 50 device CALs (im assuming youre using a hot or educational version so this wont matter)

SBS also has a basic exchange server right there out of the box.

SBS2003 is nice. Its limit is actually 75 clients. So where are you looking to buy this from? :D

OldPueblo said:
SBS2003 is nice. Its limit is actually 75 clients. So where are you looking to buy this from? :D

Somehow I don't think the OP is "buying" anything since he's listed Datacenter edition as one of the choices. ;)

SJConsultant said:
Somehow I don't think the OP is "buying" anything since he's listed Datacenter edition as one of the choices. ;)

Yeah if there were a staring emoticon I would've used it. My guess is the infamous 10-in-1 CD I see going around...

3-in-1 is all you need :)

This calls for a lock!

Oh, and I have to disagree with Iomn75. How can you expect to run a gateway and a fileserver if you're not running Windows Server! That's just un-1337! ;)

I'd just buy a cheapo router personally... why go through the hassle of maintaining and updating another Windows box if you don't have too. Netgear > Windows as a router. ;)

Just thought I'd throw this in:

Recently I found out that I have the ability to download all the current versions listed above from my school (EDIT- not datacenter, I must learn to read better) I assume it's to allow students to gain experience with the OS so they will recommend it in the professional world once they are out there.

So yeah, it's possible this is completely legit.

Edit: and standard would suite the needs you have listed.

Standard is fine. Consider installing Active Directory if you feel up to it as well. 5 PC's seem like it might be worth doing. Oh yeah, and don't steal anything.

versello said:
Oh, and I have to disagree with Iomn75. How can you expect to run a gateway and a fileserver if you're not running Windows Server! That's just un-1337! ;)
That's right. God forbid you use what's really needed, a home NAT box and a network-aware hard drive. :)

lomn75 said:
That's right. God forbid you use what's really needed, a home NAT box and a network-aware hard drive. :)

Since the question was what operating system, not what hardware should I buy, the scope of the answer should be a little more constrained. :)

BTW - I'm a bigtime NAS-hater so you won't get any agreement on the NetDrive part of the answer. The NAT device (which I like to call a home or workgroup "router") is probably a good idea however.

versello said:
You have access to all five flavors of Server 2k3? How convenient. :p
LOL :p

I have some DVD's with EVERY Version of Window's Ever Made,
From Dos 1.0 to Xp SP2, and everything in between :D
All Incoding with keys, just click and install :cool:

-(Xyphox)- said:

Good job. :p

-(Xyphox)- said:

Great job admitting piracy on a public forum.

rcolbert said:
Since the question was what operating system, not what hardware should I buy, the scope of the answer should be a little more constrained.
Why? I'm free to answer as I see appropriately. If I see a thread containing "I need to get to the mall: 747 or helicopter?" am I not allowed to say "Use a car?"

In this case, assuming the use of legitimate software, NAT+NAS is saving the OP money, setup time, maintenance time, regular patching needs, and a host of other issues that can easily be avoided given the info he supplied.

Of course, all that said, he's free to ignore me. I don't really care.

I don't have any version yet... i was just wondering what version i should use... sorry i am a noob to servers and didn't know that datacenter was available

ps I don't pirate software

HurtmeP1nty

lomn75 said:
Why? I'm free to answer as I see appropriately. If I see a thread containing "I need to get to the mall: 747 or helicopter?" am I not allowed to say "Use a car?"

In this case, assuming the use of legitimate software, NAT+NAS is saving the OP money, setup time, maintenance time, regular patching needs, and a host of other issues that can easily be avoided given the info he supplied.

Of course, all that said, he's free to ignore me. I don't really care.

Your analogy is flawed. He's already got the equipment, and just needs to decide on the OS. That's more like saying "what is the most efficient fuel for my car, regular or super unleaded?" And your answer would be "a hybrid car is much more efficient."

fibroptikl said:

who said they were pirated..??

i hate people that jump to conclusions and think they're right about stupid shit like that.

i got 50,000 dollars worth of MS software. does that make me a pirate/?!! cause heaven forbid my work bought it for me :rolleyes:

Stang Man said:
who said they were pirated..??

i hate people that jump to conclusions and think they're right about stupid shit like that.

i got 50,000 dollars worth of MS software. does that make me a pirate/?!! cause heaven forbid my work bought it for me :rolleyes:

If the company you work is willing to purchase Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition, yet you are unable to decide if it will be enough for five computers, then there is something seriously wrong.

versello said:
If the company you work is willing to purchase Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition, yet you are unable to decide if it will be enough for five computers, then there is something seriously wrong.

Even better, I'm pretty sure you can't actually buy Datacenter, you have to buy the equipment plus OS straight from MS. At least is used to be that way.

rcolbert said:
Your analogy is flawed. He's already got the equipment, and just needs to decide on the OS. That's more like saying "what is the most efficient fuel for my car, regular or super unleaded?" And your answer would be "a hybrid car is much more efficient."
Not really. what's the cost of even the cheapest Server? Now what's the cost of NAT+NAS that does everything the OP needs?

It's pretty clear that the OP doesn't have a clue what he really needs, so I'm suppling appropriate advice rather than answering a flawed question.

Since the server's a sunk cost, the only thing recommending other hardware would do is to impart buyer's remorse.

OK, I'm overstating to make a point.

The bottom line is that providing a valid opinion or correct information does not always answer the question that is being asked.

rcolbert said:
Since the server's a sunk cost, the only thing recommending other hardware would do is to impart buyer's remorse.

OK, I'm overstating to make a point.

The bottom line is that providing a valid opinion or correct information does not always answer the question that is being asked.

There's always "saving in the long run." :D Have him get one of those office gateway devices Linksys and the rest are coming out with. File storage as well as NAT functions, all done via a static web interface.

HurtMeP1nty007 said:
I have a computer setup as a gateway for 5 other comps. and it is also a fileserver. What version of windows 2003 server would suite me best?

Standard
Enterprise
Datacenter
Web
SBS

First thing to do, is ask: "What the hell am I trying to do?"

Once you know this, it will help you decide. If it is learn, then one of each (with the exception of Datacenter, as others have said it requires speical hardware, and only comes with that "big iron"). If you are setting up the file server, then Standard or SBS. If you are trying to use it as a Proxy/Gateway, then Standard should work, I think SBS will also. I am not sure if Enterprise has ICS. I doubt Web does.

I would recomend against using it as a Proxy/Gateway, but that is me.

Web is used for front end web servers, you can not install MS SQL on 2003 Web. At least according to what my sales rep told me. I've not tried, I don't have access to the Web version.

I guess more info on what you are trying to accomplish would help us out.

fibroptikl said:

Not piracy at all
All the version's i own and bought, i just did alot of encoding to make the dvd's

versello said:

i wasn't referring to the original poster. and the original poster could just be a tech support dude that's in charge of an entire network and doesn't know the difference. who knows. :eek:

Just buy a d-link router for what youve suggested its going to be used for. Only use a specific server OS' if you actually need to, not just for the sake of it unless your studying it.

-(Xyphox)- said:
Not piracy at all
All the version's i own and bought, i just did alot of encoding to make the dvd's
I only suggested that cause there is a 2 DVD set with all the MS OS's on it since inception.

Back