Windows 2003 Server Standard Default Admin Share Question

UncleBuber

Limp Gawd
I have a server (inherited) that has the following disk partitions: C, G, H. I have configured the registry to remove the default admin shares that are automatically created by Windows 2003 Server. The C$ share has disappeared as it should. However, the G$ and H$ shares will not go away. I have added both the AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks DWORD keys (value of 0 for each) to the proper location in the registry. Will Windows not remove default admin shares beyond a certain drive letter? Perhaps some mechanism to protect possible network shares? I would appreciate any assistance you may be able to offer.

This is the Reg edit i did, worked for all 3 drives i have:

Servers
For NT 4.0/W2K/Windows Server 2003s, the change is:
Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters
Name: AutoShareServer
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0

Thanks for the replies, but as I stated in the original post, I made the proper registry changes. The C$ does disappear. Any shares with a drive letter after F in the alphabet do not go away. I built a 2003 server this AM to test. I created C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J partitions and then made the necessary registry changes. Shares after F did not go away so I think there is some Microsoftism about removal of default admin shares after the letter F.

UncleBuber said:
Thanks for the replies, but as I stated in the original post, I made the proper registry changes. The C$ does disappear. Any shares with a drive letter after F in the alphabet do not go away. I built a 2003 server this AM to test. I created C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J partitions and then made the necessary registry changes. Shares after F did not go away so I think there is some Microsoftism about removal of default admin shares after the letter F.

I don't know your exact configuration, but I just did the same with Windows Server 2003 STD and the regedit made *all* administrative shares disappear.

Have you tried rebooting the server or starting and stopping the server service?

Back