Windows 2003 Server and Licensing

killerasp

Gawd
Im trying to figure out something dealing with windows licensing.

We have a 30 user license on our windows 2003 small business server. But we have over 40 accounts. Being that we have 30 licenses, if 30 users are logged on, will the 31'st be denied access? Also, are disabled accounts counted toward usage of a license?

Thanks guys.

Valid questions ... my servers are configured in such a way that the client who connects have a license ...

does that make sense?

primea said:
Valid questions ... my servers are configured in such a way that the client who connects have a license ...

does that make sense?

okay..from what i read off the micrsoft site.

Because many small businesses have more users than computers, the Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 licensing model provides maximum flexibility and value. There is no limit to the number of user accounts that can be created on Small Business Server 2000. However, the maximum number of client computers that can be connected (physically attached) to a Small Business Server 2000 network is 50. For example, you can have 70 user accounts on the Small Business Server network that share 35 client computers.

Im guessing this is the same for windows 2003.

well..what you said makes sense...but if you have more users than licenses, there will be a problem if everyone wants to log in at the same time

killerasp said:
Im trying to figure out something dealing with windows licensing.

We have a 30 user license on our windows 2003 small business server. But we have over 40 accounts. Being that we have 30 licenses, if 30 users are logged on, will the 31'st be denied access? Also, are disabled accounts counted toward usage of a license?

Thanks guys.

Windows 2003 as well as SBS 2003 introduces a new licensing scheme in which it can be licensed on a per user or per device.

Per user licensing allows one user to access the server using a computer, PDA or other device.

Per device licensing is tied to the device e.g. PDA or Computer, that way multiple users can access the server using one device.

You can mix and match licenses, but its not recommended due to the complexity of tracking the license usage.

Essentially, the X number of users over your license will be denied access to the server when they attempt to log in.

Disabled accounts AFAIK do not count towards per user licensing.

Doesn't SBS 2003 allow a max of 75 users? I thought they increased it from the 50 that SBS 200 allows ...

- Qualm

Qualm said:
Doesn't SBS 2003 allow a max of 75 users? I thought they increased it from the 50 that SBS 200 allows ...

- Qualm

From the MS SBS FAQ:

"A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain can have no more than 75 CALs. You can use CALs for each user or for each device."

So it depends on how you license the CALs, if you license them per device then you can have unlimited users. If you license everything per user, then you max out at 75.

QUESTION: if i delete an account from the active directory, that would in turn delete the email account in exchange...would that also delete the email stored on the server?

killerasp said:
QUESTION: if i delete an account from the active directory, that would in turn delete the email account in exchange...would that also delete the email stored on the server?
It would delete the email account, since exchange is AD integrated. It will delete the folder if you set it to delete files on account deletion. Not sure what default is, though

Back