Windows 2003 Networking issue

etruscan

Limp Gawd
I'm having a major issue with an install of Windows 2003 (Small Business Edition), and I'm totally at a loss.

When I first start up my computer, it can take as long as 4 hours for it to initialize network whatever. Any attempt to look at or change my network settings times out completely. Any service that relies on any networking to start fails to start. Also, I had internet access set up on it when I first configured and forgot it, but I can not access the internet. I have plenty of experinece with Windows XP, but am basically clueless about 2003.

That being said, once it's started, it serves perfectly well as a SQL and Xerex server.

It's an Asus P5WD2 Deluxe, with 2gb of ECC ram, using on-board networking.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

2 nics or 1 ?

Id think its related to the IP address, is it set for static or DHCP? (should be static)
Internet->Router/Wan->Router/Lan1->SBS2003/static IP

You should have the SBS2003 set to serve DHCP and give out DNS (the SBS2003 IP), gateway (routers IP) and any other info (besides an IP/subnet)

long startup usually always relates to DNS problems, which would relate to DHCP IP addresses on a server

dbwillis said:
2 nics or 1 ?

Id think its related to the IP address, is it set for static or DHCP? (should be static)
Internet->Router/Wan->Router/Lan1->SBS2003/static IP

You should have the SBS2003 set to serve DHCP and give out DNS (the SBS2003 IP), gateway (routers IP) and any other info (besides an IP/subnet)

long startup usually always relates to DNS problems, which would relate to DHCP IP addresses on a server

It has 2 NICs, only one is in use.

I'm sorry for being really dim, but I've set my router up for all routing purposes, and just need a 2003 server for servign SQL server crap. Do I need to set my workstations up to be getting their addresses from the 2003 server?

No.

But you should make sure that the DHCP server on the router is working. That one is easy. If you have another router laying around... Plug it in and see if it makes a difference. If it not... Then it sounds like a DNS issue. Check out all the computer names. Make sure they are not any duplicates.

Also you may want to set up a dedicated DNS box... Just for shits and giggles to see if that makes a difference.

Is DNS setup on the SBS box?
Check and I bet there will be some errors in the event log for DNS related stuff.

With 2 nics in it, maybe you initially had routing setup on it and now thats causing problems.
Can you disable one of the NICs?

Back