Windows 2003 Domain - Group Policy Update

Manu

Limp Gawd
Is there a way to update the computer group policy without restarting the machine?

I want to push out a computer based software installation, but do not want to restart all of the machines.

Thanks.

You mean adjust the group policy on the server, and not have to reinstall the machines with Windows?

If the user accounts are not local, then you should be able to adjust group settings as you want. We just implimented group polices at my old school and any change we made took a couple seconds to take affect.

GPUpdate.exe
This tool is used for refreshing local and Active Directory policy settings on the computer from which you run the GPUpdate command.

Category
This command-line tool is included in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Version compatibility
You can use GPUpdate locally on Windows XP and higher computers to refresh policy immediately. On computers running Windows 2000, this behavior is provided by the using the secedit.exe command line tool, with a specific parameter.

GPUpdate refreshes local Group Policy settings and Group Policy settings that are stored in Active Directory, including security settings, on the computer from which it is run. This command supersedes the now obsolete /refreshpolicy option for the secedit command line tool. For more information about GPUpdate, type GPUpdate /? at the command line.

EDIT: I took a group policy one day class last week which my job paid for and basicly we did the changes on the server and after it was done the workstation had to basicly have gpupdate run which is outlined above. I don't think theres a way to force it just out to all. Also you may have to logout and back in for it to kick in as well on workstations.

EDIT2: We were told to use /force on the above as well just to make sure it worked! =)

By default, group policy of domain members updates every 90 minutes with a 30 minute randomization window for all workstations with a "fast" network connection (>500 kb/s).

The interval and connection speed can be changed through group policy.

If that's not fast enough, gpupdate.exe is the command you want as detailed above.

The default update is for user policy though, not computer policies, right?

Is there a way to run GPUpdate across the domain?

Basically, I am doing a redeploy of a software install, with a different setting, and I want to be able to force the redeploy without having to force a restart on the machines. But I don't know if that is possible.

Thanks much
Manu

GPO software installation takes place when the computer starts up and before the user logs in. I have not seen an instance where the software could be pushed "live" to the system simply by running gpupdate.

SJConsultant said:
GPO software installation takes place when the computer starts up and before the user logs in. I have not seen an instance where the software could be pushed "live" to the system simply by running gpupdate.

Thanks, thats what I was assuming.

I was just hoping there was a way to manually force it to run the policy.

Thanks again.

Back