Windows 2003 DNS Host records won't go away!

FoxFlame

Limp Gawd
Scenario:

Server A: Windows 2003 Enterprise - Domain Controller / Exchange / DNS / DHCP
Server B: Windows 2003 Standard - Domain Controller / DNS / DHCP

Very basic problem with what I'm sure is a very simple solution:
Server A and B are at different sites with static IPs, connected via a TUN VPN. Within the DNS MMC snap-in ServerA has three IPs associated with it. One is correct. The other two, while able to be deleted, just keep coming back minutes later. (Or just after a reload)

How do I make them stay away?

Thank you, as this is really starting to $&@* me off. :)

--Fox

Cap'n: Yup. Both from the same MMC as well as terminalling into both machines and doing it manually.

I finally figured it out:

As it's now very late where I am, I could shut down the services without bothering anyone. (Much) I couldn't figure out why scavenge wasn't removing the outdated IPs, so I shut down the server with the bad IPs. The other server showed no signs of trying to repopulate DNS with bad IPs for the other server. Shut down the good server, brought up the bad one. Immediately got those IPs back. I had assumed it was grabbing these IPs from the other server somehow. Means the problem is local!

Decided to check network connections, and lo, two VMWare NICs are installed. I assumed these IPs were temp IPs I'd set sometime in the past and weren't getting hit by garbage collection. Just a pair of Virtual NICs getting added to the list. Personally I'm curious how you'd deal with this when you've multiple NICs in the future, but for right now I just disabled these software based NICs and got things back up and running. This system doesn't even run VMware anymore!

I question how long this has been a problem on the network and only a recent configuration change brought it to light!

Don't know if it will help or not, but you can bind windows based dns to a certian nic/ip. Maybe to prevent this in the future it might not hurt to set that option.

Back