Windows 2003 AD

mike2323

Weaksauce
Which directories should I be saving off of my Windows 2003 Active Directory servers?

I would backup the entire OS drive, system state, and any drives that you might have relocated the Sysvol or NTDS folders to.

Also note that you should be using a backup product and not simply copying directories to ensure that the data is being backed up properly.

Finally, restoring Active Directory is very non-trivial, and is almost always an extreme last resort. Usually, you want to build enough domain controllers to provide an adequate level of fault tolerance for your needs. A good rule of thumb is that every domain needs at least three domain controllers. Two DC's for the primary location, and at least one live domain controller at a secondary location. That's not accounting for any performance or other topology related concerns. It's strictly the DR rule-of-thumb that provides a minimal level of fault-tolerance.

Good luck.

/|\
|
|
He is correct, except I'm weird and have 4 DC's just incase. But just don't forget to backup any/all user data.

rcolbert said:
I would backup the entire OS drive, system state, and any drives that you might have relocated the Sysvol or NTDS folders to.

Also note that you should be using a backup product and not simply copying directories to ensure that the data is being backed up properly.

Finally, restoring Active Directory is very non-trivial, and is almost always an extreme last resort. Usually, you want to build enough domain controllers to provide an adequate level of fault tolerance for your needs. A good rule of thumb is that every domain needs at least three domain controllers. Two DC's for the primary location, and at least one live domain controller at a secondary location. That's not accounting for any performance or other topology related concerns. It's strictly the DR rule-of-thumb that provides a minimal level of fault-tolerance.

Good luck.

What all is kept in the Sysvol and NTDS folders?

Three domain servers? If you had one AD server with 80CALs * 3 servers = 240CALs? That's a lot of $$$$.

shade91 said:
What all is kept in the Sysvol and NTDS folders?

Three domain servers? If you had one AD server with 80CALs * 3 servers = 240CALs? That's a lot of $$$$.

Sysvol is for logon scripts and GPO's. NTDS is the Active Directory database itself. CAL's are per user, and aren't multiplied by the number of domain controllers you have, so 80 CALS * 3 domain controllers = 80 CALs, unless you are using a licensing scheme that I'm not familiar with. I'm only familiar with per seat licensing.

the cals aren't kept on the server, you can put in whatever you want. It's only there to help you keep track. Unless you're talking about a Terminal Server. Haven't set one up but I'm sure you could re-authorized it and such from M$ no problem.

rcolbert said:
Sysvol is for logon scripts and GPO's. NTDS is the Active Directory database itself. CAL's are per user, and aren't multiplied by the number of domain controllers you have, so 80 CALS * 3 domain controllers = 80 CALs, unless you are using a licensing scheme that I'm not familiar with. I'm only familiar with per seat licensing.

So even if I purchase 80 CALs I can input 80 CALs on each machine yet it is still within the software license?

mike2323 said:
So even if I purchase 80 CALs I can input 80 CALs on each machine yet it is still within the software license?

In Per Seat mode, sure. In Per Server mode it's defined by server, not forest wide.

You can switch between one mode and the other one time, IIRC. Either Per Server to Per Seat or Per Seat to Per Server, but I don't remember which.

feigned said:
In Per Seat mode, sure. In Per Server mode it's defined by server, not forest wide.

You can switch between one mode and the other one time, IIRC. Either Per Server to Per Seat or Per Seat to Per Server, but I don't remember which.

What is the use of Per Server mode then? It sounds useless compared to Per Seat/User.

You have Per User/Device or Per Server. With Per User/Device, you only purchase that which you have the most of. Say you're like me. You have 2,500 users, but only 600 machines. Then ofcourse you'd save a heck of a lot of money to go per device and only purchase 600 CAL's which allow any number of users per a device. But say you have 1,000 machines, and 500 users. Then you go Per User and buy a CAL for each user which covers any machine they use and again save yourself a crap load of money. With Per User/Device it covers each user/device against any number of servers.

With Per Server, it's the maximum number of allowed connections for that server. If you go this route, the CALs are only for the one server only. Say you have 50 computers with 10 users but only 5 will be using the server at a time. Then you'd only have to buy 5 CALs and you'd be covered, but Windows would limit the box to 5 concurrent connections so you don't cheat.

If you choose Per User/Device, you are NOT able to switch licensing modes again, but if you chose Per Server, you are allowed to change once to Per User/Device.

Phew, that took a bit to explain.

Back