Windows 2000 Server DC needs a backup DC; what software to use?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Backup server needed for a Windows 2000 Server; what do you recommend in terms of software?

Another server with Windows 2000 Server as a backup?

Or just upgrade to SBS 2003? Will all my info from 2000 transfer? Can I use the 2000 as a backup domain controller?

Basically, I want to have 2 servers acting as domain controllers for the active directory.

Or, should I create a NEW active directory? The client has 7 employees and all of them are using the same username and password. They have 10 CAL's, though.

SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 are junk!

The first question would be are you running an AD or NT domain?
If NT bring up a 2003 DC on a seporate network and migrate your SIDs over to the AD network.(Have Fun!!!)
If AD then go with Server 2003 Std and add it to the domain as an additional DC. Then you can move the FISMO roles to 2003 and make the 2003 the primary DC. Keep the 2000 DC as backup untill your budget permits a 2003 or 2008 server.

What are their needs? This can help steer them in the direction of vanilla server, or SBS. If they have e-mail needs, collaboration, good remote access, shared fax from desktop, sharepoint collaboration..then SBS would be a good fit for them. If all they do is webmail and a few shared folders..than vanilla server.

You can install Small Business Server into existing active directory and have a smooth migration. Or..since you have a very small network...rebuilding from scratch isn't difficult either.

Once new server is in place...evaluate reliability of this old Win2K server..age of hardware..and consider having it as a second DC.

What are the needs of a 2nd DC for such a small office? Or is this a WAN?

SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 are junk!

The first question would be are you running an AD or NT domain?
If NT bring up a 2003 DC on a seporate network and migrate your SIDs over to the AD network.(Have Fun!!!)
If AD then go with Server 2003 Std and add it to the domain as an additional DC. Then you can move the FISMO roles to 2003 and make the 2003 the primary DC. Keep the 2000 DC as backup untill your budget permits a 2003 or 2008 server.

Don't listen to this guy. SBS is a good product and has its uses.

What are their needs? This can help steer them in the direction of vanilla server, or SBS. If they have e-mail needs, collaboration, good remote access, shared fax from desktop, sharepoint collaboration..then SBS would be a good fit for them. If all they do is webmail and a few shared folders..than vanilla server.

You can install Small Business Server into existing active directory and have a smooth migration. Or..since you have a very small network...rebuilding from scratch isn't difficult either.

Once new server is in place...evaluate reliability of this old Win2K server..age of hardware..and consider having it as a second DC.

This is a good answer. As far as rebuilding the domain or not it really doesn't matter. With that small of a setup is everything working as it should? Personally I'd be looking at just doing a rebuild and giving everyone their own user account unless they have reason not too.

Really it comes down to email. If the want to host their own email go sbs. If not get a std server.

Don't listen to this guy. SBS is a good product and has its uses.

Right... SBS is good for small business needs that don't need to scale. If there is no future in sight for this company then it is all fine. If the company plans to grow then they will end up spending more money because they were cheap up front. Looking to the future is something that a lot of IT folks miss. It goes to the whole adage of be proactive not reactive. Using SBS will only fix the companies immediate need.

I like this answer too.

I believe that at least two DCs should be up to give redundancy.

Right... SBS is good for small business needs that don't need to scale. If there is no future in sight for this company then it is all fine. If the company plans to grow then they will end up spending more money because they were cheap up front. Looking to the future is something that a lot of IT folks miss. It goes to the whole adage of be proactive not reactive. Using SBS will only fix the companies immediate need.

Your "tone" tells me that you still have a lot to learn about small businesses and network needs. SBS servers are more than adequate for your typical mom and pop small businesses, hence the name SMALL BUSINESS SERVER.

There is a reason that Microsoft only allows for up to 75 active users on SBS.

If you want to learn more about SBS just ask StoneCat, myself or many other people on this board and we will be glad to broaden your horizons a bit.

Your "tone" tells me that you still have a lot to learn about small businesses and network needs. SBS servers are more than adequate for your typical mom and pop small businesses, hence the name SMALL BUSINESS SERVER.

There is a reason that Microsoft only allows for up to 75 active users on SBS.

If you want to learn more about SBS just ask StoneCat, myself or many other people on this board and we will be glad to broaden your horizons a bit.

OK lets stear this back to OP. I was voiceing my opinion on SBS. I've had experiences with it being under powered while calling on it to do basic business needs for "Small Businesses".

The client has 7 employees and all of them are using the same username and password. They have 10 CAL's, though.

If the grow from 7 users to 75 then hey maybe sbs will not be the best choice. Mind you if they manage to do that MS does have options out their for moving away from sbs and now they have options to move to ebs comming out. This is unless you think its 300 user limit is too low as well. If they had 40 or 50 users and had any thoughts of growing I would agree with you that looking at standard would be a better starting point. Also if the OP said something about needing more redunancy then sbs allows for.

You shouldn't knock it because of its limits. They are well known. It is also cheaper then the standard versions if you are running exchange.

Hey, guys!

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, they have 7 users at the time right now and they might (and I do emphasize "might") grow to 15 by 2010. But, even by 2012 they won't grow to 20.

SBS is definitely the way to go; I don't need Premier, right?

I will follow your advice and install SBS2003 and upgrade it as primary DC controller.

It's an AD, not NT, network.

They don't host their own email, but they might like to in the future - especially if I sell them on what all the options are available to them with having their own email.

Thanks for all the info!!

Hey, guys!

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, they have 7 users at the time right now and they might (and I do emphasize "might") grow to 15 by 2010. But, even by 2012 they won't grow to 20.

SBS is definitely the way to go; I don't need Premier, right?

I will follow your advice and install SBS2003 and upgrade it as primary DC controller.

It's an AD, not NT, network.

They don't host their own email, but they might like to in the future - especially if I sell them on what all the options are available to them with having their own email.

Thanks for all the info!!

Unless you need sql then the standard version of sbs is fine. SQL and exchange don't really play well on one box with a max of 4 gigs of memory anyway.

I'd get with them on the email part more. If they are interested in it go with sbs. If not get server std.

Back